Some questions about Rollback RX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ben442, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Well "MrWeary" I was unable to figure out what was conflicting with Rollback Rx on my system and after 3 uninstalls/reinstalls of Rollback Rx v8.1 and 1 install/uninstall of Eaz-fix v8.1, I gave up.

My problems were, every time I ran chkdsk on my Rollback protected C partition I would get about two dozen errors reported by chkdsk in its log. If I did not run chkdsk for more than 2 days I would get a error of "file system corrupt" on my C partition and I had to run chkdsk to correct the fault.

Apart from the above mentioned problems, the actual program ran fine, took snapshots and restored snapshots on demand. But I just could not have a software installed on my PC that led to file system corruption and chkdsk runs every 2-3 days.

The program also resulted in creation of a multitude of boot sectors on my C partition and according to my estimation I am losing ~1200 MB to Boot Sectors! on my 45 GB C partition.

My windows update has stopped working and crashes giving me an error code.

and the problems caused by Rollback are now preventing me from taking incremental/differential backups of my system using paragon/shadow protect.

I will probably have to reformat and reinstall my windows in the near future.

@bgoodman4, it is not only problem of version 9 but v8.1 is causing problems too. maybe it has something to do with vista.

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Interesting, I am running XP and perhaps thats why I have had no problems. Before buying Rx a few months ago I asked a lot of questions and felt there was enough positive feedback (actually quite a lot) for the program that I went ahead and purchased a licence. It has worked flawlessly for me.

I notice you mention you are having problems (or were) taking images of the PC with Paragon. It is my understanding that the only image program that works properly with Rx installed is the one associated with Rx (that is Drive Cloner). A number of folks have said that if you do a sector by sector image with a 3rd party program you are covered but I uninstall Rx and then image using Acronis (I am also imaging with the built in function with Rx - better safe than sorry and the function is there for the using).

Have you noted the Do Not Do with Rx installed list posted elsewhere? Perhaps it can provide possible clues as to the problem.

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I am wondering if this is a Vista thing as I am running XP SP3 with v9 and as far as I can tell (so far) I have not seen any significant issues detected by chkdsk.

Apparently, this 'issue' may be linked with defragging the snapshots, ie, no issue before a defrag and then a plethora of corrupted files rvealed by chkdsk run thereafter.

Can anyone substantiate this o_O

4. Baldrick

To All

Have just found out that HDS have found a bug in RB Rx v9 - a few days ago, that apparently they have been working around the clock to have this fixed, and that they should be posting a new build over on the web site by tomorrow, hopefully in the morning. I am assuming that it is v9 that is affected as it is the current version.

I believe that it relates to the snapshot defrag/chkdsk issue but have been unable to get confirmation of this yet.

It may interest you to know that there has been a number of what I would call parallel threads running over at the Horizon DataSys Community Forums:

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rollback-rx/

(mods please room link or post if I am doing anything taboo here)

re. this issue and this would suggest strongly that HDS have been listening to what has been reported there by users. :thumb:

Anyway, lets hope that this new build does indeed resolve the issue at hand for those of us who have been affected by it.

Cheers

Baldrick :D

5. bgoodman4

Are you using a 3rd party defrag utility? If so this is one of the no nos regarding Rx and could explain a lot. I have my Rx set to defrag after 10 snaps are deleted (I have snaps made hourly and clear all but the first of the day and the last of the day before shutting down at night) and I have had no issues at all.

Incidentally I had chkdisk issues with my old (now junk) PC and it had absolutely nothing to do with RollBack. I know this to a certainty as Rx was never installed on that particular PC.

6. bgoodman4

Thank you for this, its good to know and hopefully the issue is resolved quickly.

7. Raza0007

Yes, bgoodman4 I did read all the precautions and actually I did not need to read them, I already knew what to do and what not to do with Rollback installed. I am not exactly a novice.

And no, I only started using the paragon/shadowprotect incremental backups after I gave up on Rollback Rx. I did not use them with rollback that would have been a disaster.

Something about rollback and my system does not go well together. I have been unable to figure out what/why. But if you do a little googling you will find out I am not the only one.

8. Raza0007

It may well be linked with the defraging as the problem only starts after some time has passed since installation of rollback. It did not keep an eye on it but when I installed rollback 2nd or third time I manually took 4-5 snapshots within 0.5 hours and restored one just to check whether rollback was working. And as you know rollback is designed to defragg after every 4 snapshot.

Anyway one particular sector, namely sector 128, used to get corrupt all the time and if you open the shield folder in your program files you will find a 128.dat inside there.

It might be vista but I am not going to give up vista for rollback rx. The company needs to make sure there product is compatible with all the OS listed under system requirements section.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I was using W2000 pro when rollback 8.1 failed and to reinstall the OS.
    ellison

10. Baldrick

You may find that it is as soon as the new build is released as it looks like they have isolated an issue that could cause the problems. I believe that the new build will be on general release next Monday...if you are at all interested to give it a whirl. ;) ;)

11. bgoodman4

I did not intend to offend, just asking to be sure. I have no doubt that you are not the only one to have problems with RollBack but I would also suggest that if you look you will find that every program will cause problems for some % of users. Just because a program works (or does not work) well on your PC does in no way guarantee that the same will be the case on every PC. This stands to reason as there are a great many different configurations and hardware components out there and conflicts are bound to crop up. I have not had any issues with Rx (at least not yet) and would suggest that your experience in no way voids mine (and vice versa). The best course of action is to not depend totally on one solution. If one fails, or cause problems, hopefully the problem can be rectified by resorting to the other. This is why I have 2 diff imaging programs, create images on multiple hard drives, AND back-up my critical files to a remote server nightly. I recently added Rx to the mix so I could get another layer of protection. If Rx causes problems I will be able to restore my system to a pre Rx state (and the same goes for all) and at that point decide if Rx (or whatever program) is still something I would want to use.

12. Raza0007

@bgoodman4
    I was not offended at all. Just wanted to point out that it is not me, but the software that is at fault here.

Something about my system trips rollback rx and frankly that should not be my headache, it should be the software designers headache.

Agreed that you should always have more then one layer of protection and should not depend on one software alone, but then there are softwares like rollback rx, true image etc that have an alarming rate of failures and even if it works fine for a lot of people, it also fails for a lot others too.

Obviously there is something on the computers of these people which causes the software to conflict and fail but it is not the responsibility of the users to sort this out but the responsibility lies with software company. I think it is odd from the company point of view to expect users to avoid certain software while they are using their software and use only certain company approved software on their PCs.

On my system for example, I have narrowed down the conflict to may be caused by either bestcrypt or Norton360. Before you raise flags, I do not use bestcrypt for volume encryption. Bestcrypt does not load before windows or during boot time. It does however starts a service when window loads. I use bestcrypt for encrypted containers only and the containers are located on my other (non-rollback protected) partition. Of course the actual software is installed on my rollback protected partition. But if Horizondatasys expects me to stop using bestcrypt, when I use their software, then this is an absurd expectation. I will always choose bestcrypt over rollback. and frankly if bescrypt is the real culprit then first the company never warned me that their software can conflict with bestcrypt and secondly it is still the company's responsibility to sort this kind of thing out during beta testing. Same for norton360.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say here. I am not faulting you, I am just saying that if a software fails for a lot of people, then basically the fault lies with the company who should have sorted this kind of thing out before marketing their software.

13. Raza0007

Thanks, but that is only for the users of v9. My problems are being caused by v8.1

I may run a trial of v9 but I am not going to buy/upgrade to it so the trial run will be useless.

I think the same bug is also present in v8.1 but perhaps horizon does not care/does not have time/wants people to upgrade to v9 so that is why they are not sorting out this bug for older releases.

I was not aware they changed anything substantial in the actual code when they upgraded from v8.1 to v9, they just stipped v9 of drive clone. So, how come this chkdsk/drive corruption issue is present only in v9?

14. bgoodman4

Understood ,,,,,,but its not reasonable to expect any software developer to to test its program against every possible combination of hardware and software. The fact that you are having (or had) multiple failures on diff machines would point to some larger problem. Perhaps there was some glitch in the original download process that is causing problems. Beyond that I cannot imagine why this should be the case except for the possible conflicts you pointed out (assuming you have the same programs on all PCs of course). Beyond that it goes without saying (but I will say it anyway) its always up to the end user to decide which programs suit them. If a particular program does not work for you, or does not work to your satisfaction then you should obviously not use it. When there is a conflict (or apparent conflict) then again its the end users choice which program to use and which to get rid of.

It is good that you posted the info regarding the possible source of the problem. This will make it easier for others to trouble shoot, or avoid in the first place, similar issues.

15. MrWeary

MrWeary Registered Member

Hi Guys .. This hole thing is really a big pain in the ass ..
    for us and them .. My system is different then yours i use different software
    then you ect... I am not sure how any program works at all! lol

Having said that .. with a program such as this .. it HAS to work!
    its protecting .. data! DOCS .. PICTURES .. HOURS AND HOURS OF INSTALLING PROGRAMS .. SETTINGS ECT.

When this all happened to me .. thank god i have backups of backups ..
    LOTS of users do not.. I test software Delete things .. Screw up my computer every day!

And to have a program that can "goback" to a state before i did this .. really is a life saver!

Or I am Forced to boot from a cd .. and restore an image ect ect ect ..
    ( Takes 1000% longer )

However ... if it causes the problems then its 10000% useless and borders
    on criminal.

16. Baldrick

Hi Raza

Whilst what you say makes sense it is yet to be proved that RB Rx fails alot of people, as you put it. There is no evidence of that that I have seen and certainly the people affected negatively are more likely to post about the negative experience than those for whom the experience has been positive.

That does not detract from the fact that you have a problem but as bgoodman said...this software runing on a myriad of different PCs that are all slightly different. In some cases there will be problems, and that is why the software used in passenger aircraft is triple redundant...so as to have a back up in case of a software issue.

I do not disagree with your statement about when the company should ahev sorted this out and I believe that as far as they were concerned they had tested as far as they could. I know that HDS's main market is infact instututional rather than home user and it would be intersting to find out what effect this has had on that part of their user base, which most probably is more standard in terms of configuration/software used than home PCs.

But bottom line is they need to sort it and I think that they are trying very hard to do so...so lets see if then can and have. :D

17. MrWeary

I am Getting this ..

-------------------------------------------------

The description for Event ID 200 from source ShieldClientService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ShieldClientService: 0.
    begin client

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

----------------------------------------------------------

I Have not updated to the new ver of rollback as of yet ..
    ( waiting to see what happens )

I am Not sure if i was getting this error before unistall of ver 9.0
    when i was having all the problems.

I am getting this error with eaz-fix pro 9.0 :/ FFS
    However have had no problems with it sofar.
    seems to be working ok ..

I also have turned of auto defraging and have not defraged any snap shots.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  18. bgoodman4

Boarders on criminal? It has to work on your system because you want it to and if it does not its the developers fault that they did not anticipate your particular configuration and use? Come on now, this is a bit much.

19. Baldrick

Hi Mr Weary

Apreciate and understand your position but in the interests of moving forward I believe that "...10000% useless and borders
    on criminal." is somewhat strong and not very constructive.

We are all in the same boat, ie, we all have different set-ups and expect the software we buy to work on our own PC without fault...and this applies to HDS as well as the giant we all know based in Seattle...but I do not hear the same levelled at them...so I would recommend that we all chill out and try to move forward constructively. ;)

I believe that the acknowledgement of the issue and the new build are examples of what can be achieved by this approach...and let's bear in mind that HDS's core business is institutional users not home or small business user...so IMHO they have some way to go to getting geared up and suitably focussed...but importantly I believe that they are if you see the effort being put into this relatively new forum, etc.

My suggestion is (and I have done it re. the latest build) is image, uninstall the older RB Rx build, run chkdsk to resolve any issues found, defrag the disk to be protected and then install the new build.

And lets take it from there...Nick10 (Horizon Staff, to give him the moniker he uses over at the HDS forum covering RB Rx) noted in his announcement that HDS were gearing up for suppsrt of the new build from Monday...so lets help them out with detailed and precise input as to any problems we might find with the new build (hopefully there will be none ;) )

Cheers

Baldrick

20. Raza0007

MrWeary, check out my post # 88 in this thread. I received the exact similar warning in the event viewer but oddly the service was running, so I assumed this to be a false positive. Maybe something interrupts this service at boot time and this is what causes the problems later on. I continued to receive this warning during Rollback Rx v8.1 install and eaz-fiz v8.1 install, so I assume it has something to do with these software conflicting with something on my computer. I could not figure out what though.

I am using Vista home premium.

21. Raza0007

@Baldrick and @bgoodman4, I will keep on following the developments concerning Rollback rx eagerly as it does have all the functionality that I require but I am not willing to risk my system testing it out.

So, I volunteer other Rollback Rx users as guinea pigs and I will monitor their progress and see if the problems are finally resolved. I know its a big sacrifice, but someone has to do it :D

22. Baldrick

Hi Raza

Understandable...and I for one have no issue with that approach.

However, I hope that you will continue to chip in here and at the HDS forum (mods. hope that I am not in contravention of any rules here ;) ), where this issue is also being discussed AND has the attention of the HDS staff covering the forum, if you spot anything relevant that you think may be of benefit in relation to the issue? :D

I have installed the new build but as I run XP which is x32 I so far do not believe that I have experienced the issue either with previous or new build (fingers crossed) as it looks like it only affects x64, ie Vista. o_O

23. MrWeary

I agree with Raza0007..

Hmmm let’s see ..
    Lets charge for a "untested" product not fully tested .. that "may" totally destroy someone’s hard drive and data .. Then wait for them to complain.
    Then "try" to fix it .. Wait for them to complain ... again. Ect Ect.
    And you Find My Comment Over the top ?
    I Don’t think so .. This is a product that’s its sole purpose is to SAVE YOUR DATA .. Not Destroy IT!
    And In My Case And Others That’s Exactly What it did .. It Destroyed My Data, Documents , My Outlook PST File and
    Could Have Made My System Totally Un-useable!
    ( Thank God .. I am A computer freak .. What about the people that are not ? )
    Remember .. Its Not a Mouse driver FFS!

I keep trying this product Rollback rx / eaz-fix eagerly as it does have all the functionality that I require .. and want .. i was a user of the old GOBACK.
    It was Fab! It Worked everytime! Never destroyed my data .. and worked well.

So .. I keep trying and helping and "putting up" with the Problems.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  24. Raza0007

Actually there are some reasons I can not test this software anymore, as in my opinion, whatever damage has been caused by Rollback rx has been caused and my system currently is messed up. There will be no point in installing rollback rx on an already messed up system. If I format and reinstall my system then I will not want to risk it again by installing rollback. This is the main reasoning behind my not being willing to test rollback again.

One of your earlier statements that since the main clientele of HDS is business customers who have more or less standard systems and have a low chance of being effected. Well, first, I thought that the business consumers are more likely to be running low-level security apps, encryption software and other stuff that is more likely to conflict with rollback then an average home consumer. Second, even if the business community is effected, they will not come here on the forums, they will most likely report problems to their IT dept. The IT guy will have a direct line to a tech at HDS and they will most likely use that approach. That may be why there are no complaints from business community here on these forums.

But then most business community are still running XP, so may be this is what saved them.

Vista is 32 bit too... I am using a 32 bit version of vista.

However, if Vista is the culprit then as I pointed out earlier that Rollback is listed by the company as fully Vista compatible.

25. Baldrick

Hi Mr Weary

And I do...so lets beg to differ, bow deeply to each other and move on. ;)

True, it may have done so for you but I suspect that you are in an unfortunate minority based on the number of posts I have seen...just a guess on my part.

Having said that it does not detract from the fact that for you it has been an ordeal and I am certain from what I have seen over at the HDS forum that they are now taking this issue very seriously helped along by good information and assitance from users. A long way to go but up is up even if not very far of the ground yet. ;)

I too used GoBack right the way back from Roxio days (v3 I believe?) and it did let me down badly a couple of times as v4 under Symantec...and believe me that the response I got from them was appalling (making HDS paragons of virtue in comparisions...and that is saying something, eh? ;) ). But apart from that it was reliable if limited in fucntion.

That is great news! Not wishing to draw yo away from Wilders but as I said previously the forum for RB Rx over at HDS is far more active then before with a lot more input from the HDS staff. I would recommend that you monitor there as well as here and possibly chip in where appropriate.

Regards

Baldrick :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.