Some help with claws mail

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Spiritos, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spiritos

Spiritos Registered Member

Hi,
    First of all I am still ignorant where it comes to Tor and networking so excuse me upfront for asking probably 101 questions but I have read the Tails documentation and more but to no alas so..

I use Tails or better yet, I want to use Tails as I feel,this is a great one-in-all package for private and anonymous webbing.

What I don't understand about setting up Claws mail is which ISP/email service to use. I mean, I thought about creating an anonymous emailaccount while in Tails but for some reason all the accounts I created I couldn't get them to work in Claws. I tried vmail.me, URSSMail, Gmail, mailoo.org, yandex....
    I can create an account but I can't get it to work in Claws?!?

Then I read a few posts back in this forum one should just use the email given from the ISP as traffic inside Claws/Tails is tunneled anyway..?

Now I don't get this. I mean my mailaccount from my ISP or even Gmail is registered to my name and thus a weak link right? Regardless if the traffic is being tunneled. Wouldn't it be much more secure creating an anonymous mailaccount WHILE being anonymous in Tails? At least that's the way I see it.

So basically 2 questions: which scenario is more safe? Simply linking your personal day to day mailaccount to Claws from where all comms are 'anonymous' OR create a 'fake' account while being anonymous already in Tails?

Second question: If I'm right about setting up a fake (depersonalised) account being much more safe why can't I link those accounts to Claws? I want them IMAP-ed but I'm just not receiving any mail in Claws.

2. Spiritos

Spiritos Registered Member

Despite all the help I managed to get Claws to work with another mailservice.
    Appearantly all forementioned mailservices don't get along well with encrypted traffic or something since the settings I applied were all the same as before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.