some french letters replaced by cyrillic ones

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronny, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

    ronny Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Posts:
    231
    Location:
    Belgium
    I wanted to to install the French language pack for my open office 2.3 (on XP), but I always get error 1311. Also see the picture: some French letters (the "é" like in "réalisé" & "ç" like in "Français") are replaced by Cyrillic ones. I also have this when I try to install MS études 2007.

    Does anyone knows what's going on here?

    By the way, I could successfully install the German & Dutch language packs, so it must be something to do, with the "French-things installation".

    Thank you in advance.

    EDIT: by "letters" I meant "characters", so for those in the UK, you can stop laughing now.:p
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Pedro

    Pedro Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Posts:
    3,502
    Did you change fonts in Windows? That could be it.
     
  3. iceni60

    iceni60 ( ^o^)

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    Posts:
    5,116
  4. ronny

    ronny Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Posts:
    231
    Location:
    Belgium
    Thank you Pedro. Could you explain a bit further? I don't think I have changed fonts. Could perhaps some program do this during its install?


    @iceni60: Thank you. Alas i had already spent a few hours looking there before opening this thread. It didn't solve my problem. Yes, the installation error I always get is indeed the same as the one mentioned in your third link.
    The strange thing is that the .cab file isn't missing, i can see it.
     
  5. iceni60

    iceni60 ( ^o^)

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    Posts:
    5,116
    i did see a fix where someone was using a cd as an installation source, the fix was to extract all the files first, then do the install.
     
  6. ronny

    ronny Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Posts:
    231
    Location:
    Belgium
    In the mean time I successfully installed the language pack (thanks to posters Clovis & Hagar de l'Est, to name a few). The solution was "... pasting the files of "Open Office.org 2.2 Installation Files" (Desktop) in a new folder in C:\Program Files (e.g. "OOffice Installation") and then running the setup from there."
    Perhaps the solution proposed by iceni60 in previous post will work also.(I haven't tried it yet iceni60).

    Now, i am still curious why this solution worked. You know I like to LEARN things. ;)

    The replacing of the 2 French letters é & ç by Cyrillic ones remains though. So any clever & helpful person out there who can solve this riddle. o_O
     
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  7. iceni60

    iceni60 ( ^o^)

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2004
    Posts:
    5,116
    i'm glad you got it working.

    do you know what a 'french letter' means in the UK? i wasn't totally sure, but i looked it up at wikipedia :D
     
  8. ronny

    ronny Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Posts:
    231
    Location:
    Belgium
    I didn't, but I DO know it now and...:oops: :oops: :oops:

    To avoid any mistakes: I am talking about characters.:p
     
  9. Pedro

    Pedro Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Posts:
    3,502
    ronny, i only suggested fonts since i had a similar problem in Debian. I changed fonts and OO was fixed. Some fonts aren't supported i think, and screwed up the characters (i had triangles and squares instead of Cyrillic though :D ) .

    Hopefully this will bump the thread. There are experienced OO users here.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.