some french letters replaced by cyrillic ones

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronny, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I wanted to to install the French language pack for my open office 2.3 (on XP), but I always get error 1311. Also see the picture: some French letters (the "é" like in "réalisé" & "ç" like in "Français") are replaced by Cyrillic ones. I also have this when I try to install MS études 2007.

Does anyone knows what's going on here?

By the way, I could successfully install the German & Dutch language packs, so it must be something to do, with the "French-things installation".

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: by "letters" I meant "characters", so for those in the UK, you can stop laughing now.:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Did you change fonts in Windows? That could be it.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Thank you Pedro. Could you explain a bit further? I don't think I have changed fonts. Could perhaps some program do this during its install?

@iceni60: Thank you. Alas i had already spent a few hours looking there before opening this thread. It didn't solve my problem. Yes, the installation error I always get is indeed the same as the one mentioned in your third link.
    The strange thing is that the .cab file isn't missing, i can see it.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i did see a fix where someone was using a cd as an installation source, the fix was to extract all the files first, then do the install.

6. ronny

ronny Registered Member

In the mean time I successfully installed the language pack (thanks to posters Clovis & Hagar de l'Est, to name a few). The solution was "... pasting the files of "Open Office.org 2.2 Installation Files" (Desktop) in a new folder in C:\Program Files (e.g. "OOffice Installation") and then running the setup from there."
    Perhaps the solution proposed by iceni60 in previous post will work also.(I haven't tried it yet iceni60).

Now, i am still curious why this solution worked. You know I like to LEARN things. ;)

The replacing of the 2 French letters é & ç by Cyrillic ones remains though. So any clever & helpful person out there who can solve this riddle. o_O

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm glad you got it working.

do you know what a 'french letter' means in the UK? i wasn't totally sure, but i looked it up at wikipedia :D

8. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I didn't, but I DO know it now and...:oops: :oops: :oops:

To avoid any mistakes: I am talking about characters.:p

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

ronny, i only suggested fonts since i had a similar problem in Debian. I changed fonts and OO was fixed. Some fonts aren't supported i think, and screwed up the characters (i had triangles and squares instead of Cyrillic though :D ) .

Hopefully this will bump the thread. There are experienced OO users here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.