Some Fdisr question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by demoneye, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi all

i got this fdisr pro 3 installed and got some isue with it

1) is there any boot disk / rescue disk out there when system won boot or hardware fault?

2) is FDISR is "sector by sector" program and need to use(or not) only defrag files only? (not fill defrag)

3) is FDISR rescue is as FDISR pro ?

4) why FDISR pro (not rescue) developed droped?

cheers:cautious:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

1. No. It is not an imaging program, and wasn't intended to protect against hardware failure.

2. No. FDISR is not sector based but file based, has no built in defraggers, and works fine with 3rd party defraggers.

3. No. FDISR Rescue, just provides one snapshot. FDISR(original) allowed up to 10 snapshots, and off disk archives.

4. Not enough people bought it to make it worth the cost of support.

Pete

3. demoneye

lo pete wazup :cautious:

so when "1" is append... no way the recover?? wierd coz they mention in there help its good and wize put the snapshot in archive in other place if hardware failure append:doubt:

4. Peter2150

IF you have the full version and have an archive elsewhere then yes you can recover from a hard drive failure. What you would do is:

1 Install Windows OS on your new drive.
    2. Install FDISR
    3. Either create a secondary from the primary or archive if you have an archive of the secondary.
    4. Boot to secondary and restore archive of primary
    5 Boot back to primary and be recovered.

Pete

5. demoneye

10x pete ... this is the way i was also thinking if there is no other ways lol....to much trouble and time for recover...better use some other img progy like DS or SP :argh:

6. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

FDISR is not a traditional imaging program that images a drive or partition. One would use FDISR in conjunction with a traditional imaging program to have a more layered, complete and flexible disaster recovery solution. Therefore as i'm sure is obvious to you now, it was never made to do what you ask, but rather, to augment programs which do such. In future, you may want to peruse product vendor's websites and product descriptions.

Thanks,
    Chrome

7. Peter2150

Hi Demoneye

You are right about the time. But what the combo of imaging and FDISR with archives buy's you is the best of both worlds. For example

I takes me about 18 minutes to image, check the image, and restore test. It only takes me 2-3 minutes to update an archive. So I have a failure and alas the only image I have is 2 months old and out of date.

No sweat, I restore it, and then use FDISR's archive to get current. Quicker then start from scratch, longer then restoring an image, but overall a lot quicker.

Pete

8. demoneye

yes and no...coz starting from scarcth no matter what append it a long time to be loose.:'(

yes for after system get setup and ready to hit the road all is cool than :D

cheers:thumb:

9. demoneye

welp... when i look at software i look at total cost... the price and what it can give compare to same like progs .

FDISR hold a great idea for safe "stay alive" operation .
    what its missing is 2 important components

1. any rescue disk to fast as can recover :blink:
    2. the way it actuley get recover like pet mention (which take long time).:doubt:

cheers :cool:

cheers

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Demoneye,
    I reduced the cleaning of my computer to NOTHING. All I do is boot and reboot.
    In the past I ran AV/AS/AT/AK/AR/... scanners, registry cleaners, history cleaners and junk cleaners.
    I don't do this anymore and my computer is alot cleaner, than it ever was.

I also changed my backup completely.
    I don't even backup my actual system partition anymore, because it could be an infected one and restoring an infected image is no solution.
    All I do is a daily backup of my data partition and only the changes.
    And sometimes I have to update my basic images to replace an old software version with a new one or to add a new software permanently and then I re-create my system partition.

So don't tell me that SP + FDISR is no time-saver, you just don't know how to use it efficiently.
    As long you keep on thinking the "old-fashioned" way, you will never change anything.
    Even when I would explain "How I did it", you wouldn't understand, it's too new for you. :)

11. demoneye

lo erik :cool:

welp i dont use no AV no FW nothing for lets say ...more than 1 year :D
    and what i was talking about is FDISR alone , not combine /mixing the products with other software.
    like i said earlier , i take a products and see its total cost for me , and in that isue recover time from scartch is one of the IMPORTANT thing in recovering, not mention SP is the most expensive tool of its kind ;) and DS for example make the same faster and even better (and much cheaper) :cautious:

and today lets said i first meat FDISR (coz it stop develop so didnt dig into it) and understand it fully include all its archive backups and restore option (very similer to EF whicj i use for some times)

* btw is there any limits for doing DEFRAG of some kind ON FDISR partition? coz i know by now its a file progy no sectore one ;-)

cheerss :thumb:

12. ErikAlbert

I'm not a very technical person, the word "sector" doesn't tell me anything.
    I only know that I can't live without defragmentation forever, so I installed one defragger : PerfectDisk. Is that a good one ? According some users PD is the best, according other users PD isn't the best. I don't care, why ? I don't have the knowledge to verify which is the best, so it doesn't matter to me.

I defrag each time when I adjust my basic images (new versions, new software) and then I re-create my actual system partition, because my previous actual system partition has been on-line TOO LONG and could be POSSIBLY infected.
    This can happen next week or next month, that depends on outcoming new versions of my installed softwares.
    After that I don't defrag anymore. Frankly, I never felt any improvement after defragging. I consider defragging as a necessary evil, I need it but I can't do anything with it, except defragging. If defragging wasn't necessary I would have ditched it a long time ago. :)

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Defragging is pinpoint placements of restoring scattered fragments of files all over the disk back again into a single file which IMO makes for better performance.

Now with my experience with FD-ISR, i always liked to do my wipe drive first, then reformat with PARAGON, not M$, and then install with the XP CD. After i have added everything i think i want and need, i do a RESTORATION wipe which is full of useless so-called already deleted files, and followed up by a comprohensive Hi-Performance placement defrag.

Only then i install FD-ISR and proceed to make archives also, and i have some snapshots that hasn't been touched with any defrags in many months and those snapshots are as snappy in performance as the day after i first installed XP.

Everyone has their own best strategies where they see positive results, and it doesn't hurt to Defrag snapshots to my knowledge, but i'm pretty impressed with FD-ISR snapshots, that even with continous useage are as snappy as they are after so much time is elapsed. The only routine i do make very good use of is a RESTORATION run which increases performance for me, then i make an archive with Copy/Update to preserve them.

EASTER

14. demoneye

maybe i didnt explain well , will try to be more clear this time
    what i meant is not if defrag is good to do or bad to do or even of it works(thats goes for easter and erik:) ...
    my point was like a "sectore" programs called to a software like EF/RB and a diff BACKUP method uses by a couple of major backup / restore company like ATI,SP,FARSTONE, etc...
    IF u make a defrag there backuped partition with a none fragment files only (which is the lighter faster one) your diff backups will increse dramatic .
    as far as i know and check FDISR isnt a srectore like program , but i want to be sure coz if i defrag it and its wrong than the results will be as i describe :blink:

*other point maybe u guys knows...what is the method to backup include "boot to snapshot" FDISR ? will SP can full backup c:\ drive + the "boot to snapshot" at the "dos mode" also?

*according yo your experience , what is the faster method to work with FDISR , on a compress snashots or at none one?

cheers:D

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  15. Peter2150

If I understand your questions right.

1) Defragging with FDISR is no problem at all

2) imaging with the common imagers again is no problem. I use ShadowProtect, and image my c: drive. All snapshots are imaged and restored. It's a non issue. This is because FDISR is file system based unlike RB/EF

Pete

16. ErikAlbert

Demoneye,
    I still don't understand what you are talking about, I'm glad Peter seems to understand you and what he said, is correct.

BTW "Boot to snapshot" is just a function in FDISR to boot directly to another snapshot, nothing more than that.
    You make it more complicated, than it is. :)

17. osip

osip Registered Member

demoneye:

See it as beer cans...when you install your os you have one beer can...with FDISR classic you can have up to ten beers on the same system drive,with rescue you can have 2....In addition you can put the beer´s in archives on other places...
    With imaging sw you open all can´s and spill them in to the same pot and then frigerates them in to a solid ice block.

18. demoneye

lol erikkkk:argh: u are cool :cautious:

pete did get the most of it :)

but the question about " *according yo your experience , what is the faster method to work with FDISR , on a compress snashots or at none " noone understand also ?:blink:

cheerss:doubt:

19. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn BEER!!

20. Peter2150

Hi Demoneye

I've never bothered compressing snapshots, so I am not sure I can answer. I just don't have a reason to compress them, as 1) I only keep a stripped down secondary snapshot on my drive and 2) I am using about 27gig out of 640gig available. Therefore space isn't really an issue.

Pete

21. demoneye

okii 10x pete , u always there to reply :thumb:

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Bloody Ell. I've learned a new Language :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.