Solus review - The distro that could not

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

High hope, low cope. Here's a review of Solus, a Linux operating system with the Budgie desktop environment, tested on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, GPT, 16 partitions, and a multi-boot setup with Windows 10 and Linux distributions, covering only live session and a failed installation, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Samba sharing and printing, multimedia support - MP3 playback, HD video, installer options, partitioning, bootloader problems, and more. Started majestic, and then it died on me. So sad. Glimpse hither.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/solus-1-2-review.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Thank for trying out, I really liked when running it from USB

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Ubuntu Budgie Remix is a better test candidate than Solus. Ubiquity installer hasn't failed me yet.

BTW, the cogwheel points to the Raven Control Center where you can customize the settings on the fly.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Only some settings, though.
    Mrk

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Settings are minimal like panel placement, size, menu setup and theming - to make it fool-proof for newbies.

As I said, your best bet to test Budgie is Ubuntu Budgie Remix - its seeking to join the Ubuntu official flavors family.

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Tried it recently, but discarded it when I saw the poor choice of software available. (at least not what I was looking for)
    And it seems you can't use anything else than what they have to offer, being a proprietary platform...

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Mrk
    may i ask a question ?
    have you create an usb stick live installation ?
    and may i know which software did you use?
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.