Solus distro opinions, experienes?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Windows_Security, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Again a relative who moves away from Windows (not XP, but Vista now). From Ubuntu based distro's I like Xubuntu best (managed to get AppArmor and Firejail working, has for me a look and feel which resembles Windows most).

I ran into Solus, I have tried it on USB an it is nicely designed. Anyone experiences with it?
    It feels fast (it claims to be optimised)

Video with lead developer commenting on your tube reviewer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZpEVP7HOFU

Thx Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The Budgie Desktop is a fork of GNOME Shell and resembles Mac OSX - if you run it with Plank Dock.

Top Bar items can be configured with the Raven Control Center in the sidebar. You can configure theme decoration, panel placement and panel size.

Foolproof for newbies. Its easy enough to set up and then it just gets out of your way.

Budgie Desktop is available in Ubuntu Budgie Remix and also in openSUSE spin GeckoLinux.

4. Thx for the responses. I will have go at GeckoLinux, will try the XFCE variant also (I also liked Xubuntu)

upload_2016-10-12_11-32-21.png

EDIT: forget GeckoLinux it did not install on my system, better off with an unreliable new distro like Solus (which started amazingly fast from USB)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I tried the Solus XFCE version once, maybe a few years ago. Like Mint, it came with lots of web services enabled with insecure settings, and the firewall disabled. I was not impressed.

6. NormanF

The original Solus project produced a modified GNOME Shell called Consort, went nowhere, died and was reborn as Evolve OS, Ike Doherty began work on a new desktop environment called Budgie which eventually became the default in the renamed Solus OS just like Cinnamon was made for Linux Mint.

7. NormanF

You can test Budgie Ubuntu Remix. The developers want it to become another official Ubuntu flavour and Mark Shuttleworth is open to it.

8. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

This appears to be a Budgie showcase a la Mint/Cinnamon as they say Budgie was developed in house.

The Solus forum shows some pretty good traffic, at least in comparison to some niche distros.

https://solus-project.com/forums/

9. Thx, will be trying Solus on a PC which does not install all Ubuntu flavours (not even with nomodeset, it gave a memory error, replaced memory which was tested okay, but it fails without error :-( ). Will come back to report how Solus did

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.