Solo antivirus,part II

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by edsod, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edsod

edsod Guest

Hello,I start a new topic
    (I don't know if it is the right thing to do since
    there was another one a month ago for Solo Antivirus)
    just to inform you that this tool is really interesting !

I was using AVG the last months after some bad experiences with NAV last year
    and after reading here and at another forum that is not so good at detecting viruses
    (I must say I was happy with it ),I tried last days NOD32 .

I had some problems with AMON conflicting with some other programs
    like when I was trying open jv16 power tools ,
    I uninstalled-reinstalled jv16 but they were not solved...
    (I use WinME ).

Finally I remembered a guy at another forum that was recommending Solo
    and installed it.
    It's 1.6 Mb,it has a minimal interface,uses less resources than AVG (!!!)
    and cought all the viruses I downloaded from the mail of the local
    High School as did NOD32 and AVG.
    (every Monday school's Norton deletes 10-15 of these-
    children are playing sending viruses,mainly KLEZ...)
    It performs very well,just a little bit slower from NOD at scanning and is cheap.

Maybe some of you that are more experienced should try the product and test its detection abilities,
    as it is very nice to find a programme that is small and doesn't conflict
    with other applications (I use Kerio and was using AVG for these reasons...) :)

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Edsod.

I have heard of Solo antivirus.
    I visited their web site because I was curious.
    They say on the web site that Solo has been tested.

I haven't found any tests where Solo participated.
    I checked Virus Bulletin and SRNMicro wasn't listed in the venders category.
    Maybe someone knows of a test that they participated in?

I never tried Solo.
    I heard of it after I purchased NOD32 so I never went any further as far as installing or testing it.

3. edsod

edsod Guest

I forgot to say that Solo AV had two updates in three days
    now...

4. root

root Registered Member

Hi Edsod. I am not one to just arbitrarily dismiss products that are slightly off mainstream. I started using AVP before most people had ever heard of it. I also am currently using DrWeb, which many do not consider to be among the top three. So I am ready to give the underdog a chance to prove themselves.
    I think you want to be careful about allowing an unproven AV like Solo to be your first line of defense though. I can't remember seeing them tested on any of the regular AV testing sites. They claim
    I find this to be misleading. I am not aware of any International reputation, and what awards have they won? They did not post any.
    All I'm saying is that there a several AVs out there that do get tested regularly, that do have international reputations, and have proven themselves to be effective.
    Personally, I will let someone else do the field trials for Solo.

5. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Where is this company actually from o_O o_O
    Not even a adress on their website.
    Regards Ole

6. edsod

edsod Guest

Thanks for your comments,I had the same thoughts about this "stranger" but I trusted a really serious guy at
    computing.net that recommends it and some positive feedback from people that used it.

(I searched and didn't find it at usual test sites but I saw it for download at shareware sites,mainly French and German ones like this...
    http://www.antivirus-online.de/english/linksw9x.php3?v=7)

Sometimes a good new product looks strange at first,I don't say that I know much about it,I will try it and post back...

7. adiel

adiel Registered Member

Its strange that people rather than trying products themselves ask about how many awards a certain product has won...why don't they try it...if awards were everything i had be using nod32...which i don't..because it does'nt suit me and i was not satisfied with it.
    now about solo...don't under estimate it...its a good AV..and just becuase you did'nt find some information about it..it does'nt mean its not good.

a few weeks ago when i installed it..solo did something that no other AV did...right after installation it warned me of some trojans on my g drive...those trojans i kept myself..because i like to test my AV's myself.

now an on access scanner does what its name suggest...but i did'nt accessed g drive...but stilll it warned me..no other AV did it..and i have tried many...although i am not trying to say that its the best AV..but i was quite impressed.
    its a good AV if you want something light on resources but heavy on protection.

8. root

root Registered Member

Adiel, I could put any antivirus on my machine and probably surf for months and never get a virus infection. Does that prove the antivirus is working?
    I could download a thousand more viruses for my library and test the AV against them, and if I found them on the net, then they would probably be in the database and get detected. It may give me a little idea about how the AV works, but that is an extremely limited test.
    Antivirus test sites test for thousands of viruses, some test unpackers, some include trojans and worms, macro viruses, and on and on.
    I cannot replicate the testing that a large organization does. If I am careful as to what test sites I keep up with and include several of the better known test sites, I at least have a chance to see how an AV does in comparison to other AVs.
    Yes there are a lot of things to consider when evaluating the worth of the tests, but at least I have a broad field to look at.
    After years of gathering information on have AVs perform at the various test sites, it is obvious that one or two AVs are always at the top or near the top of all AVs tested. That means something to me.
    If it means nothing to you, that is your choice and I would not try to change your mind.
    I personally think that those new to security and choosing AV products can get a better idea of what products to try by visiting several of the test sites. Otherwise they are just taking a shot in the dark and have no idea how to properly test an AV on their own machine.
    After all, we are not talking about AV experts here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.