software to monitor outgoing traffic?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by scrty001, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrty001

scrty001 Registered Member

whats the best software to monitor all outgoing traffic on my computer? specifically I would like to know where the traffic is going.

example:

if there is a logger installed on my system and that data is being sent to a server. I'm looking for a software that will let me know if data is being sent and where it's going.

Thanks

2. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

Either use a firewall to monitor any out going connections or use a network sniffer like ethernal to monitor any network activity.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I believe fuzzylogic meant Ethereal which is now known as Wireshark and while it is a very good network analyzer, the learning curve is steep but worth it. FAQs

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

5. smf

smf Registered Member

This depends on what level of monitoring you want. If you just want to see connections information, TCPView, X-NetStatPro, Currports will work just fine. Many firewalls have a connections viewer built into them. Some of these products will tie the connection to the specific process. X-NetStat Pro allows you to setup alerts based on certain conditions. If you have one of the common home-based firewalls, I recommend setting up Wallwatcher. It will log and monitor all incoming and outgoing connections at the router. Even if a system is compromised (masking the connection from the OS).

From a packet analyzer perspective, Wireshark, Commview, Microsoft Network Monitor and others will give you what you need.

6. scrty001

I'm trying to find out if there are any masked connections outgoing from the OS. I tested with wireshark and a software called "IP Traffic Monitor", none of them reported anything.

I'm wanting to find out if there are any OS connections but, I don't understand what you mean when you say, "home based firewall" are you talking about a hardware firewall? Can I not download a software firewall and setup wallwatcher?

Thanks

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I want to thank you guys for all of the helpful responses. I have been wanting to learn more about these things too. I am using Zone Alarm, which does let me know when a process is trying to access the internet. I also use snoop free (I think it's called) on my XP machine. And I also have Threatfire and Prevx installed. But I am ready to learn a little more about monitoring and protecting myself, so this is helpful..

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I believe WallWatcher is mainly for routers, not software firewalls, but if you did not see anything nefarious with Wireshark, with its packet inspection capabilities, there might be nothing wrong.

scrty001, what are you seeing in your system that makes you suspicious of masked outgoing connections?

caspian, farmerlee's suggestion of TCPView is a great tool to start with.

9. scrty001

I haven't seen anything, just thought I might do a complete thorough check on my system once in a while.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

scrty001, great mindset to have! :thumb: Good to hear that there's nothing happening. Take care.

11. scrty001

regarding wallwatcher, does it have to be used with the router that is directly connected to the pc? I have the main pc (which has the router directly connected to it) and 2 laptops on wireless that use the router for internet access. Can I install wallwatcher on the laptop that I want to check?

Thanks

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Why don't you check WallWatcher Supports These Routers and see if your router's manufacturer and model is listed there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.