Software Threats

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by klashnekoff, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klashnekoff

klashnekoff Registered Member

I am currently studying for an MSc in IT Security and only have the dissertation to complete. My topic is which software poses the greatest security threat, I will be covering the software, victims and perpetrators. The groups I have currently put the software in are malicious software (viruses, worms etc.), dual use software (forensic software, password crackers etc.), file sharing software, software flaws/bugs and poorly configured software. I would be grateful if anyone could give me any ideas, references or useful links regarding this subject, as I have stated in my proposal that security forums are a means of gaining useful information.
    Information regarding any other security forums that may be useful would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I don't think that there is one most dangerous kind of software. A virus may be a big risk on one system, but on another it is not. So you might consider making a more explicit statement for your dissertation.
    For software to be a risk, there has to be a vulnerability, either in the code (bad programming), in the config (due to bad management), or in the (mis)use (badly educated users).
    So, a more dimensional statement than just which is the most riskfull, is in order. You might add a second dimension: what causes the particular risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.