Software Testing & Licenses

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

One way to use FirstDefense_ISR is to check out programs with a safe snapshot to fall back on if necessary. This is pretty straightforward if testing a new program or trial license.

How about paid for licenses - could there be technical / renewal issues?
    For example if your AV just offered a new version and you know from reading threads here that some users find the new version buggy. Having F_ISR would let you test the new version in a snapshot to come to your own conclusion if any of the issues mentioned elsewhere actually affect you. If necessary you can go back to your proven / stable version by rebooting to your primary snapshot.

What I am wondering about is if the software vendor may get confused if you obtain an upgrade via snapshot 2 and subsequent further definition updates this week and then next week reboot in primary and get definition updates for your old version too. A week later you may decide to test the new version some more ...

Legally I think it's a non issue like installing / uninstalling / installing... the same program on the same pc several times. However, has anyone ever encountered technical issues, perhaps having the licence questioned since it may appear that your licence is installed more than once?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No issues here.
    I specifically enquired with several vendors: same machine = no issues

By comparison, is different in VM's = different machines ergo different licenses.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Personally, I had an activation problem with ShadowProtect Desktop v2.
    I couldn't activate SPD in a second snapshot, but StorageCraft has fixed this, because more and more users had the same problem at Wilders and other forums.
    I don't use scanners anymore to protect my system partition, my boot-to-restore does a better and faster job, than all scanners together.

My data partition still needs scanners, because any downloaded file is a possible threat. I test these files one-by-one with VirusTotal and Jotti, which is much better than using your installed scanners. VirusTotal and Jotti have signatures of at least 20-30 scanners (I didn't count them yet).

In general, I don't care how much I install a software. I paid for it and that is enough and I use it only for myself and on ONE computer.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you have activating software, and you copy to another snapshot, you will almost never have a problem. Trying to install into an already existing second snapshot, can at time causes an issue.

5. beethoven

Sorry, I don't understand that at all:(

Example: I am running NOD 2.7 happily at present. I know that a new version 3.0 is available but has received very mixed reviews. I have one license and run this program on my primary snapshot. If I copied my my primary snapshot and then upgraded 2.7 to 3 for testing, in theory I would be running two versions on the same license (though obviously it is one computer and only one will be run at any one time). I am fairly sure that there is no legal issue at all but I wonder if some programs might throw up technical hurdles (like stopping to update) due to "misreading" the situation .

6. Peter2150

Okay you are running a program requiring activation. You install FDISR and create a second snapshot. All your software will be there and most probably will work.

Now you have FDISR installed with two snapshots. You install new_program in your primary and it requires activation. You do so. Then you boot to your secondary and try to install new_program in the secondary. New_programs activation server might say you have already activiated and not let you activate the 2nd copy.

Pete

7. beethoven

ahh, but that assumes a new installation and activation. I guess this might be the same issue with using a trial version for 30 days and then trying later again. My query is mainly concerned with using an existing registered product and using a copy of the primary snapshot to test the upgrade before copying this onto the primary.

8. Peter2150

Absolutely. That is one of the beauties of FDISR. You can test something new or an update, and if you don't like it ZAP. But if you do, you can easily keep it.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.