Software Restriction Policy vs Antiexecutable

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sukarof, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

has anyone ever tested this to confirm?

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Tbh I dont know how to do that, is it just to change the file extension?. Tell me and I´ll test.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Block .exe but rename a file to .scr and see if it executes.

4. sukarof

Thanks, I thought it was more sofisticated :)
    If I change the AiRoboform.exe (installer for roboform) to AiRoboform.scr, it wont execute. I get: "Error executing program!" (Without SRP the .scr starts the installer as if it would´ve been a .exe.)
    If I change it to .jpg (which is allowed in SRP) then windows picture viewer starts but it cant of course show any picture since it is an executable.

So I guess we can conclude that spoofing extension doesnt work with SRP?

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

What about a double extension (.exe.gif)?

6. sukarof

Same result.

7. lucas1985

Interesting. If your tests are correct, SRP is more powerful than what I thought.
    I still have my doubts, for example a spoofed executable placed by an exploit.

8. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

lol, that's all we had to do to test this? in a limited user account with SRP, i renamed my atf cleaner executable from atf_cleaner.exe to atf_cleaner.jpg and windows picture viewer opened up but aft cleaner didn't start. i also renamed atf_cleaner.exe to atf_cleaner.exe.jpg and again picture viewer opened up but atf cleaner didn't run. do these tests count as a pass?

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

No.

Windows launched the renamed files as images according to their associated extensions. It'd have passed if you launched those renamed files as EXECUTABLES, but SRP still blocked them.

10. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

dang :( so it failed eh? one quick question, if the spoofed executable don't run when click (i mean the program didn't start when clicked, windows picture viewer did), how are they a security risk?

11. lucas1985

A malicious spoofed executable might scape the jail made by LUA+SRP, but this is beyond the scope of my knowledge. Maybe solcroft is willing to do some tests.

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I still have the spoofed .gif file from the SloanTreeFarm redirect exploit.
    If anyone using SRP would like to test this file, send a PM to me and
    I'll give you a download link.

Here is how Anti-Executable deals with it:

http://www.urs2.net/rsj/computing/tests/spoofexe/

I would like to see screen shots of the messages that SRP displays
    when various attempts are made to copy/install this file to disk.

----
    rich

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

PM sent.

14. sukarof

Thanks for the link Rmus.
    It behaved like it does when I rename any .exe to .gif - it opens internet explorer but shows nothing. If I open a real .gif I see the picture in the browser.
    When I double clicked it and Internet explorer tried to open the gif but didnt show anything. In the adress bar it said D:\temp\cnte.gif

I ran it in sandboxie to trace what it does.
    I couldnt find anything strange when I inspected the content of the sandbox.

When I rename it to .exe and run it as administrator I get a message: "The service cannot accept control messages at this time"
    Still no traces in sandboxie. What is this .gif supposed to do?
    *edit* Never mind, I did a online scan:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi sukarof,

I'm interested in whether or not having SRP enabled prevents an unauthorized executable from being downloaded to disk.

EDIT: in your case, does SRP permit the executable to extracted to disk from the ZIP file?

----
    rich

16. lucas1985

Interesting :)
    Perhaps your system is fully patched so this exploit can't run? Maybe a manual execution (as opposed to a drive-by when browsing) doesn't achieve the same results? Wish I know more :(
    I would be very (and happily) surprised if a SRP is as powerful as Anti-Executable.

17. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Hi Rmus

SRP does not stop you from downloading files to disk and will allow you to extract zip files to disk. It's only when you try to execute the file that SRP will kick in.

I guess that these are two differences between SRP and AE.

18. SpikeyB

The only difference I have noticed between manually running and drive by, is that manual leads to a window highlighting that a file has been blocked and drive by doesn't.

In the event logs, both methods show the processes as being blocked.

19. lucas1985

Good to know, thanks :)

20. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks, SpikeyB for that clarification!

----
    rich

21. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

if i'm reading this right, it means SRP stopped the file from executing? so this means that SRP stops spoofed executables?

22. sukarof

Hi

As SpikeyB says it is no problem extract it from the zip and you can download anything to your hard drive, including viruses, but they will not execute.

For the first time in, I dont know how many years, I have found my computer infected! :)

After I done the test I decided to download Drweb cureit and do a scan. Cureit found a malware in my Pctools Firewall process. I got so chocked so I forgot to write down the name of it :argh:
    I immediately restarted with Norton Ghost 12 (which I am trialling) and restored a image taken a couple of hours earlier. It restored the backup fine, but when it booted to the image I got blues screen. I tried once more but with the same result. (And so my newly found confidence in NG12 flew out through the window)
    Luckily I have good old ShadowProtect to fall back to :thumb: So Did a restore to a couple of days old image.

I did a scan with Cureit again and all was fine now.

I must admit though that I have not had the SRP policies activated for a couple of weeks since I thought there was some kind of bug; when i do a path rule for a executable and the folder (Polyview a photo viewer) with SRP polyview consumes 50% cpu power and is very sluggish while running.

I have done the same tests in this restored image as I did in my previous post and re scanned with cureit but now it didnt find anything. So it wasnt this malware that infected me.
    I guess that was not a false positive so I have been infected somehow even though I run UAC. Obviously I have got it through a installer that I have allowed (I do test alot of software) that installer probably modified PCtools service (FWservice.exe) during the install.

Experience is the best teacher there is. So I have learnt my lesson and will now re evaluate my, somewhat cocky :) , decision not to run any security software while in limited account since it will not protect against process modification of software that doesnt protect them selves. Most software seems to require admin rights when installing, and process modification is the weak spot with LUA and SRP.

Well, it was fun (to run windows without paranoia) while it lasted.
    Howdy HIPS Sukarof is back home :D

23. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Double-clicking on a .gif file forces Windows to open the file in the default image program. In this case, naturally, there is no image, so nothing displays, as some have noted.

So manually clicking this .gif file doesn't really prove anything with respect to SRP and spoofed executables.

If this file is permitted to execute, it installs another executable - in this case, a spoofed .tmp file
    which KAV identifies as Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Murlo.co

cnte-cache.gif

Check your event log to see what it lists.

This type of test assumes that the malicious spoofed .gif file has somehow gotten onto your computer and that you decide to execute it. It's reminisicent of the firewall leaktests: you have to permit the file to download and then manually execute it. I don't know what that really proves.

For a true remote code execution test -- I just discovered that one of the old Google-Redirect exploits is still working: awfulplastics.com:

awfulAE.gif

It attempts to download a spoofed.gif file. The reference to the "Update..." file is
    created in the Startup directory if the .gif file is permitted to download.

Read my writeup here if you would like to try this exploit.
    It will be interesting to see at what point SRP catches it:

http://www.urs2.net/rsj/computing/tests/awful

----
    rich

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  24. SpikeyB

SRP allows the file to download and allows the creation of a startup entry. The file then tries to execute and is blocked by SRP.

Even though this is a drive by, a window does pop up to say that the file has been blocked. When I have come across other drive by's there is no window to say a file has been blocked.

untitled.JPG

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  25. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This mirrors the behavior of the various HIPS products that were tested last year against this exploit.

It looks like SRP is a viable solution for unauthorized execution (as you have been saying for a long time!)

----
    rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.