Software Installers - stop please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I disagree that there are only two choices. This issue is being played out on many fronts all the time. For instance the FCC is currently working on rules to prevent TV advertisers from blasting their commercials at full volume because it agrees with the viewing public that this is an unacceptable practice. We don't have to choose between putting up with it or not watching TV. This is about the "social contract". Yes, if we want to use "free" software we should be willing to give something in exchange, which may be viewing an ad or opting in/out of a toolbar install, but this has limits and we have the right to weigh in on where the limits should be. In the short run we may have to avoid the free software that we feel crosses the line, but in the long run these behaviors are moderated though social pressure and legislation. It starts with users asserting what is and is not acceptable to them (uh oh, did I just make this an A Vs B thread? :D )

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The OPs issue was with any bundled software. And if people find it acceptable (as long as you can opt out) then the minority of people who don't like it at all will be SOL.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    That debate does not work for things like Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, or Sun Java.

The software is already paid for by the developers who made the websites that having flash junk on them..since they purchased the not-so-cheap website developement suites from Adobe. We didn't ask for it, but our browsers nag us to death until we install it, so we can see some of the websites out there.

Or Sun Java...it's already been paid for by the developers who wrote the software that requires Java to be installed.

I can see your point for something things, like the freebie alternatives to Adobe AcroBloat....like Foxit PDF. But for things such as I mentioned above..the point is not valid.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

When I use free software, I try to copy it and then archive it so that I don't have to install it again, just copy/paste it or use it from its archive home.

I love free software, and understand that the toolbars etc 'might' be a way to offset expenses. I don't like to opt-in or opt-out, but I withstand it due to the fact that it is free after all.

I suggest if you are needing free software to script your own installer (easy to do) or make copy paste versions of it. Export the reg vals if needed. There are many solutions to a problem that likely will not change any time soon.

Sul.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Capp

I hear you about the free stuff you do. Tallemu took the high road on this also. A few do. I guess it comes down to a choice for developers and choice for users.

Hopefully your approach has benefited you.

Pete

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You do not need Adobe's software (eg you can use the open source Flash Develop software instead) and no-one has to pay for a flash player.
    Adobe do not charge a Dime for flash support (and its now an Open Standard).

There is NO cost associated with supporting Java in an application for anyone develops, SUN does not ask for a dime from developers.

Cheers, Nick.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

It's not clear from your wording whether you meant avast is the only one that doesn't include extras, or if you meant avast should be an exception to the general rule to avoid extras since it's otherwise great.

If the former, if you haven't already seen it then please note the new avast 5 ("final" as of a day or two ago, though still lots of bugs) does come bundled with Chrome, though I forget whether the latter is opt-out or opt-in.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I meant avast is the only software I use that includes extras.

As for opt-in or opt-out, its kinda neither. Both options are unmarked and you have to select one before you can click Next.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Most of the apps bundled with toolbars are free for personal use. They are not meant to be installed on a corporate LAN. As a home user, I could care less if the bundled stuff is opted out or in by default. I could understand the annoyance if you are installing a freeware on a LAN of 20-30, but I can not understand home users with a single machine who moan. They're just being spoiled little brats.

Any change made to the system by the installer without user's consent is a rogue behavior. As long as you have the option to opt-out, it's OK IMO.

TBH, I do not understand commercials on a budget TV at all. After all, I'm paying for the channel.
    As I said, to me, the only unacceptable behavior by the installer is if it's silently making changes.

If it's a non-driver software (a simple tool), I just use Universal Extractor to unpack the installer. In 99% of cases, it works.

Cheers,

10. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

once again I agree SEER and thanks for the link I'm going to have to give this a try and I promise I won't moan if it doesn't work

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Seer,
    Why should crap I dont want or need be ticked as default?
    I only install java and flash player because websites need it. I hate toolbars so always untick them. installing takes longer and longer because these days you have to check every check box to make sure your not installing stuff you dont want. Its not so bad with free software such as ccleaner because they need to make money somehow. companies like abobe,apple,sun etc are robbing bastards at times. apple makes money from hardware so why does apple tick all their crap software as default when you install itunes? they already have your money from buying their overpriced crap sounding music player.

the other problem with all this bundled stuff is that most people dont even realise its installed so dont update it which introduces extra vulnerabilities.

If the toolbars and bundled programs uninstalled cleanly i would willing install the toolbars for programs like ccleaner so they make money and can improve the product but im not willing to install yahoo toolbar because it leaves alot of crap behind.

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You're only re enforcing my point....so why do they have to cram it down your throat with "me-too-ware" bundled it in.

I'm aware of alternatives..but 99 and 44/100 % of the rest of users don't.

I do dozens and dozens of installs/builds a week, so I'm aware of easily unchecking the me-too box for whatever the added bloat of the day is..ask jeeves bar, yapoo bar, bing bar, mccrapee scanner, symantec scanner, etc. But the large majority of end users, when they stumble upon some website that needs Flash..and they get redirected to Adobes site to go install that..they don't know to uncheck the boxes for the me-too ware. After a few months of PC use their browser will be riddled with a half dozen added toolbars, and other various bloat that these programs install.

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Because the odds are higher that you will install the toolbar if you are careless... or a noob. But is it really that hard unticking the box? Yes, if you install 20 toolbar bundled apps daily. But who does that kind of thing? (Guess i'm asking this question at the wrong forum) Whoever he is, he's in the minority.

I would never install any toolbar, support or not, simply because I don't need it.
    Actually, I don't quite understand the big fuss about toolbars. Are they bad (I'm referring to non-maicious toolbars, Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc.)? They collect user info and send ot to who-knows-where? Or what?

Which in fact is not such a bad thing, as they then call you to clear up the mess. No harm done, and everybody's happy. LOL ;)

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.