Software firewall needed for McAfee VSE 8.5i

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zyrtec, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi all,

My sister went back to college to pursue a MBA. She's got a personal laptop from DELL (Latitude D830) 6 months ago.

At college, she got McAfee virusscan enterprise 8.5i+antispyware module but her laptop is lacking a good software firewall (she doesn't trust Windows firewall at all).

She approached me for suggestions regarding a software firewall compatible with virusscan enterprise 8.5i but I haven't been able to help her because I don't know for certain what firewall is compatible with McAfee VSE and won't cause any conflicts or blue screens.

I do konw, however that VSE 8.5i comes with some rules for port blocking but that would be a very basic FW and it also comes with buffer overflow protection but that wouldn't be enough for her.

Besides, my sister plans to use her laptop at public networks (airports, hotels, etc.) and that's why she needs a good software firewall for her laptop.

Could you guys give me a suggestion of what firewall to use with Virusscan Enterprise 8.5i that doesn't create any conflicts?

Her laptop configuration is : Windows XP Pro SP-3 with IE7, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, Nvidia graphics card with 256MB, McAfee VSE 8.5i a no other security application running besides VSE.

P.S. : If it's a free one (firewall) would definitely be better than a paid one.

Best regards,

Carlos

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Try Online Armor Free. Its easy to use and will complement McAfee with good HIPS.

3. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I agree, OA will be good choice. You can also try Comodo Firewall Pro.

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Comodo Firewall Pro is also a good option. But IMO, the HIPS in Comodo is a bit too sensitive and not meant for novice users.

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

Thank you for your responses to my inquiry, very appreciated.

Well, I'll then let my sister know about your answers so she can download the current version of Online Armor firewall free (2.1.131, I think) and can run it alongside of VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i.

Once she gets it up and running I'll let you guys know how it went.

Best regards,

Carlos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.