SoftPerfect Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Joeythedude, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hi

I'm just wondering if someone could post their settings for this firewall or explain a bit how they use it. I've searched the other threads but didn't really follow what was said.
    I know it doesn't support application rules , and i'd like to move away from that.

Specifically I'd like to set up some simple outbound rules that would be likely to block some of the most likely outbound malware traffic.
    Just getting of % of the most common "paths" would be enough.
    I don't know enough about FW to know if this is possible or not , but would really like to learn :)

Thanks
    J

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you're concerned about outgoing malware traffic, you should be using a firewall with application control, not just port control.

3. Joeythedude

2 reasons why I want to learn about this firewall.

I want a more general solution , than allowing/denying applications

If malware can open an application , and I have allowed that applciation , then that malware could access the internet.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can't really control outbound very well with that kind of firewall. About all you can do is block all outbound traffic except for certain ports and protocols and destinations that you set up rules for. But to browse for example, you'd need to allow outbound traffic on port 80 minimum, to any destination. If you do that, then any malware can go out on 80 to any destination also. For effective control, you really do need app control of some kind. There is no other easier way.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you are wierded out about malware, Kerodo is right, you need something that prompts you when new applications want to go online.

SoftPerfect is one of my favorite firewalls because it is very light on resources and you can install it but not start it until you need it. It can be annoying when you are trying to set up rules, but I like how much it asks because I don't even start it unless I really want to know what is going on. So I use it more as a trouble shooting sort of tool. Since it handles both inbound and outbound, where XP firewall does not, it is how I check things out if needed.

Sul.

6. Joeythedude

Thanks, thats explains a lot.

What do people use to look though the outbound traffic that occurs on their PC ?

I've see pictures of malware researcher, and some would show a text output , which would include say the string of a credit card number .

Any ideas of what that app might be ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.