[Softpedia] No love for their own ads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

No, for those thinking this was about the actual review... sorry, not exactly. :D You can talk about it, of course. But, are you noticing something rather odd in these screenshots:

-http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Google-Chrome-18-Review-2.jpg/

-http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Google-Chrome-18-Review-8.jpg/

Yep... The author of that review is using Adblock Plus and Adblock. So, not supporting the very same company he/she works for? :D

And no, there were no mentions in the review to the lack of a native functionality to block ads.

Do as I say, not as I do. Or, something like that. :D

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

lol. He even used two adblockers. :D.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Actually, if you're visiting your own site, you should block ads, as this is not ethical. I block both ads and javascript on my own site so that these visits are not counted in any way.
    Mrk

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Makes sense, I didn't think of that. I thought that the owners visit aren't actually counted in the ads.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That was the idea I had too*. But you, as a author of some article/owner of some service, can still be "unethical" whenever you want, by using whatever other computer (for instance, a virtual machine with a different Internet connection) you want. ;)

Anyway, the other side of the story/moral, is that he/she works for a service that displays ads to survive, but then doesn't he/she feel like he/she should allow ads for every other service? :) I mean, I have high doubts that person is using Adblock Plus, AdBlock and a few other extensions to block some other minor stuff, just for Softpedia. This would be 99% overkill. :D ABP alone would block Softpedia ads.

Just saying... I just find it a bit ironic. :blink:

-edit-

* They could very well be excluded from the counting, if the service(s) they have partnership with places cookies in their computers; they will track them, and exclude them. So... o_O Again... why wouldn't you, the author/owner, allow cookies? :D

Last edited: May 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.