So why do we have a separate "scan" verses "clean?"

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by windstrings, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

copied from help:
    If an infiltration is found, run the scan again by selecting the Clean button rather than Scan. In “cleaning” mode, if an infiltration is found, actions are offered to clean or neutralize the infection. In most cases, NOD32 is capable of cleaning a detected virus. Note that with most of the recent computer worms, the entire file is the worm body, so it is simply deleted.

All other scanners that I have used.... mostly mcafee and mks_vir.... simply scan and if a virus is found offer an option to clean?...simple enough?
    So why do we have a separate scan engine verses a clean engine "so it were?"

Does this feature help speed up nod32 to not be in "write mode?"... just curious why the extra hassle?.... if it helps speed its worth it..... thats the main reason I choose nod32.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  2. 1234

1234 Guest

Re: So why do we have a seperate "scan" verses "clean?"

I have asked this before and have often wondered the reason for it too?

Very time consuming to scan and then find something only to NOT be able to clean it at the same time. Then have to re-run it in Clean mode to get rid of it....

3. windstrings

wow.. you responded fast... you even got my misspelled word "seperate"

anyways.. there has to be a good reason for it... and like I said, if its for speed.. so be it..... how often do you find a virus anyways?

Not very for me!

If its not for speed....why can't we just set our scans to "clean" everytime?
    whats the difference? since I haven't seen it inaction yet I don't know?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The Amon realtime scanner can be set to clean in the tray options.
    As for me, I would rather be asked what to do in case of false positive.

5. windstrings

exactly.... so what I mean is.. I want to be able to be "offered" options... one of those being to clean.... I think I'm good there....

what my concern is..... is when it scans automatically through the "nod32 - scanning" engine found when you schedule stuff..... I"m not sure if it will just scan and then I have to re-scan to clean, or if it will clean the first time?

I'm assuming since I have it set for "my profiles" and in "my profiles" I have it set so.... it should do it..... so maybe I answered my own question....
    Hey I should ask myself more often! I just may know!!! :doubt:

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Due to the very odd "False Positive" being found, you may want to run an automated weekly/daily “Scan” and then check the logs to see if anything was found. If something is found you can then right click it in the scan log and have Nod32 perform an action on the infection.

The alternative is to run a “Clean” that has preset actions set in accordance to your choices, and will perform such upon detection of an infection…

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

7. Blackspear

It depends upon what actions 9switches) you have set up in your scheduled scan, as mention here

Hope this helps...

8. windstrings

I didn't know I could right click on it in the scan log to clean it... that will work...

9. Blackspear

Indeed it will ;) :D

10. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

if i click SCAN and it found something, then i will have to click the CLEAN button right?

if i click the CLEAN button, will it have to scan my whole harddrive again?

if yes, that would be like wasting your time scanning the whole harddrive again. like for example, the virus is located in the root drive, then it is a waste of time and resources to scan other folders like "program files" and "my documents"

or the CLEAN button just rescan only the files that the SCAN button founds suspicious?

the original poster's question never really got answered IMO, or did i miss something?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  11. 1234

1234 Guest

Nope, you got it right. Exactly what I already said. Doing it twice. Might as well just click the "clean" button to begin with, let it "scan" and if it finds something, you'll get the "clean" option.

12. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

if that is the case then the SCAN button is obsolete in IMO....

what do people use it for if they cant clean any infectons using the SCAN button?

it must be there for a reason but that i do not know.......

13. Blackspear

The question was answered quite comprehensively I thought, see the highlighted wording below:
    The highlighted section is in regards to "Right Click" and performing an action on a "Scan" log.

Nod32 is a product that gives you many choices, and choices are a good thing, if we didn't have them there would be complaints that we were being forced to perform only this or only that... ;)

Hope this helps...

14. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. Especially as I've just spent a week playing with VirusScan 8 and the lack of choice compared to NOD32 is dreadful (as is its use of physical memory, CPU, and pathetic dependence on IE) - for instance, it is impossible to configure the schedule scan so if you do not wish to scan archives as part of the scheduled scan, then too bad, there is no way to switch that off; and unlike in AMON there is no way to exclude files. However, I think NOD32 could learn from VirusScan 8's default settings, where everything is switched on, a much safer default setting in my view. But it was a relief to uninstall VirusScan and return to NOD32 :)

15. Blackspear

Very much agree with you, and has been argued many a time, and now is added here under Everything Else number 11.

16. windstrings

Humm.. I haven't had to much experiencei with it yet.. but it seems that when you "scan only".. its faster than hitting the clean button....
    might be a good test for someone with timeo_O??

Also.... if you do scan and find something and so want to clean..... maybe the clean button will simply follow the scan log to the problem areas rather than "rescan" everythingo_O
    If this is not a feature... it should be!

17. Blackspear

Unfortunately no, this is the function of “Clean”.

Interesting, can you add it to the list found here

18. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I think I understand what's getting everyone so confused--so let me give it try. If you press scan and NOD32 finds something the scan will still be completed. If you press clean and you have the program set to do something nonautomatic, i.e., ask the user what to do, it will stop scanning till the user makes a choice of what to do. Theoretically, at least, a user might want to walk away from the computer for a few minutes and wish to have the scan completed when he or she comes back, even if something is found. The scan button is for such a user. The user would check the scan log when he or she returned to see if something was found and, if so, take the desired action by right clicking on the log entry.

Have I got it right?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  19. windstrings

Well not exactly..or maybe I don't have it right?

When you scan.. "yes I have it set to ask me what to do"..... so mine would pause I suppose and I could pick right?

I guess I'm confuses and to WHY we even need the clean button....if while scanning its either going to A.) clean it B.) ask you what to do c:- all the other options

So why would you ever go back and clean.....Is that just to clean.... but the other one is to do that....if you set it so?..

I'm all confusedo_O o_O

20. profhsg

I originally thought that the program will stop and ask you what to do if it find something as long as you select that action in the "actions" tab in the on demand scanner. But, if you look at what that the text under that tab actually says, it states that "Actions are taken only in the Cleaning mode." This seems to mean that if you press the scan button no actions will be taken. When you press scan the program does not stop and ask you what to do, clean the infection, delete the file, etc. etc. As I recall, when I once left one of the Eicar test files on my machine by mistake, and I pressed the scan button, NOD32 did not stop and ask me what to do. It went through with the complete scan. It did however record the presence of the Eicar test file in the log. As I said in my previous post, the scan button seems to be for someone who wants an option to do a complete scan before deciding to take action, or having the program take action for them.

21. windstrings

Yep.. your right.. with me too.... So is just scanning alone with only the scan button a "faster" way to scan?.... or should we just hit the "clean button" everytime?

22. 1234

1234 Guest

Doesn't seem any faster to me "scan" versus "clean". I think they are the same. I never run a "scan" and always run the clean function......then it prompts as it encounters something............

23. profhsg

Well, it is faster assuming that your selected Cleaning action is to have the program stop and ask you what to do, which is what I have mine set for. It's "faster" because the program will not stop and ask if you press the scan button. I don't find the scan button a particularly useful feature, but that's only because NOD32 scans so quickly anyway even with all security functions set to max. If it finds something while I'm gone, and stops to ask, it will take only a few more minutes for the scan to finish up once I answer the question of what to do with the suspicious file.

24. windstrings

Humm.. I'm still lost.. seems like the clean button is the same as setting the scan button to clean when it finds somethingo_O

25. profhsg

Ah, now I see where you went wrong. You cannot set the scan button to do anything but scan. If the program finds something after you press the scan button it will not prompt you, clean the infection, delete the file or take any action other than logging what it found. It is only the clean button that can be set to take a chosen action, such as prompting the user on what to do.

There is an option on the clean button for each of the components, files, memory, boot record etc. for "no action." If this is what you select for the clean button then it will function exactly the same as the scan button.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.