So Slow!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whitneyville, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitneyville

whitneyville Registered Member

Is this thing working? does it really take 14+ hours to back up 97g?? I have a 3ghz pent w/ 1g using Win2k. It stuck at 2 of 2 for hours. Backing up to a usb2 drive.

~Non-support related comment removed. - Ron~

Doug

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2006
  2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Running from Windows or boot CD?

3. whitneyville

whitneyville Registered Member

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It should take somewhere around 3-4 hrs if the 97G is the used space not the overall partition space.

You have a USB2 drive, but is your chipset in your P3 box USB2? USB1 is 40X slower.

I would run chkdsk on all your partitions and the usb drive partitions as a first attempt to find what's wrong.

chkdsk X: /r substitute the drive letter of the partition being tested for X. It will need reboot to do C. Do all the partitions!

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Just look under device manager if you have an enhanced or advanced USB. If not you have USB1 ;-)

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello whitneyville,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the respective version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

I would also recommend that you check the disks for errors as seekforever suggested. In order to do so please:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)

- Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"

where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the issue persists, please enable logging by SnapAPI program, reproduce the program failure and send us the "snapapi.log" file which is located at C:\. You can also use Windows Search tool (available in Start menu) to find this file. Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

FWIW
    My 60gb HD takes about 30 minutes to fully backup to a SATA drive.
    Incremental backups take about 5 minutes.
    HTH
    John

8. tonkin

tonkin Registered Member

Mindbendingly slow!!!!!

Christ, there must be something wrong. Why should 36gb take 3 days? Going out of my mind watching 1% progress every 2 hours.

9. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

You are right, there is something wrong. In my case it was hardware. When my backup jumped from 18 minutes to 2 hours, I started checking my hardware. It turned out to be my second hard disk.

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The time it takes to back up will vary depending on the machine speed, DMA, disk access speed, etc. Howver, as a rule of thumb, I think you can figure about a minute per GB. You run faster or slower depending on your machine -- especially if using an external drive, the time might be double. But if you run into dozens of minutes per GB, then there is either drive problem, driver problem, or your USB is acting like USB 1 (aka, Ultra Slow Bus).

good luck,
    sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.