So is Astaro Security Gateway any good?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

It's excellent.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

4. guest

guest Guest

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Astaro is good, they've been around for quite a while. More known in the business industry since they make appliances to protect business networks.

Once or twice a year I bring up the subject of hardware UTM appliances in a thread or two, I'm surprised they're not more popular here at Wilders. Primary reason...you get an added layer of protection for your computer(s) done at the gateway...done in hardware, zero performance impact on your computer(s).

I'm an SMB Network Consultant for a living, in recent years I've been replacing plain NAT routers at my clients business networks with UTM appliances. The amount of malware related issues that I have take a good reduction at clients I've installed these at.

My current UTM of choice is Untangle....granted it's a bit too steep in hardware requirements for the average home user. But it's very effective, in addition to antivirus scanning you have optional Kaspersky module to install into it, and it has a great built in Spyware Blocker.

Endian is another great one I've often used. As well as the Copfilter add-on for IPCop. PFSense recently started supporting an AV plugin. Also eBox and Comixwall

MackGuy..I hadn't heard of ClearOS yet...thanks for the mention, it looks interesting, I think I'll try it this weekend.

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.