So I have a gmail question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Using Firefox (same behavior in IE) their is no functionality with the "Go back one page" button or the Backspace key to return to another site from gmail. Those features work "within" gmail, e.g. from an email back to Inbox or Trash to Inbox, etc. I've used gmail for several years now and have just accepted this behavior but was wondering if I'm missing some setting or something? Thank You!

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its a Javascript trick that is used to replace your history, which then makes the browser think you have not previous visited sites which in turn de-activates the back button.
    I've seen this trick popping up again more recently on AJAX powered sites; I think they do this to make the AJAX more reliable.

3. ratchet

Thank you! So I'll just continue to live with it.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

If you hit back a few times it should work, or there should be a down arrow near your back button that has a drop down of the last 15 URL's so you can select a page to jump back to.

5. ratchet

That is why I ask! I knew about the history menu but usually just go back to one of my tabbed bookmarks which is one click less. Sure enough though a couple clicks and you can get back. What I will do is check the mail, "oh trash", then hit BackSpace twice and I'll be back in business! Thank You!

6. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

When I use IE on some Microsoft websites I have that same issue. I don't have that problem with Firefox on the same sites. Is this related to the same issue?

7. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

No problems, the reason is kind of like Nick said it is due to Javascript but it goes forward 2 URL's in the background meaning a single click back won't quite get you where you would expect.

You can backspace right back to the pages you were on prior to logging in also, but backspacing through the login part you have to tap the button a little quicker because if you pause half way through the login redirect it will try and throw you forward in to Gmail again.

Hope that makes sense... Sort of. :)

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I always just use the tiny little drop down arrow and click back to the home page of the site, (or the site before) that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.