So how many browsers do Linux users have? Why?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I have three as of now.

Firefox (the beta channel via Ubuntu's ppa).
    This is my main browser it's locked down as much as I'm comfortable with.
    Ubuntu provides a default AppArmor profile which I've activated.
    With Privoxy (used only for Firefox), I block Flash, images, javascript, and third-party connections from non-https sites. Essentials are white-listed.
    With the SimpleBlock extension for Firefox, I can control what I want on https sites.
    The Console2 extension provides feedback on what SimpleBlock blocks.
    Stylish, DOM Inspector, and the built-in inspector, which is getting better with each release, help control what I want to see on my screen and the appearance, both of the "chrome" and the web page.
    I save videos by extracting them from cache. If that fails, which happens sometimes, I use Download YouTube videos as MP4 and FLV.
    I update my "lists" by going over the Privoxy log and about:cache.

Another browser is Chrome (stable) from Google's ppa which I use primarily for Google Docs. The Stylish extension allows me to see less "white" on the screen. No other extensions.

My latest addition is Seamonkey (stable, and direct from the Seamonkey project) enhanced with AdBlock Plus (no lists) and set to erase all private data on exit, which I plan to use exclusively for financial matters.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome Developer. The Chrome sandbox on Linux is very strong and it's very fast. I have it sandboxed with AppArmor as well mostly because I can.

Haven't really had any need for another browser.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Again I find the Chromium stable channel PPA lagging behind the Chrome release schedule, it still has version 17 whereas Chrome is on version 18.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Why not simply use Chrome then?

I had noticed the same thing.

5. x942

x942 Guest

I remember someone on these forums said Chromium is kept back one version from Chrome. I don't know if this is true or not. I do find the repos can be slow so I use chrome and google's repos to keep up to date.

Running Chrome Dev. build with seccomp and HM's apparmor profiles.

I do have firefox installed in case chrome doesn't work.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This?

I really don't see the point of Chromium unless one wants the "cutting" edge or one is a tester. Even then using a ppa may not be the way to go.

7. x942

x942 Guest

Yup that was the link I was given before. Anyways Chromium is good if you want to use OpenSource only or roll your own customized build.

8. linuxforall

I do exactly that but there is one issue, google repos are slow, when doing apt-get update, it invariably hangs for a while on google repos.

9. x942

x942 Guest

Yup that's true. Or like right now where I'm getting errors from their repos and it won't update them.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That is true. It's been a problem for years!
    I got sick and now keep the ppa unselected except when I know an update is available. I then select it, get the update and then deselect it again.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It looks like there's often a problem when the update is just out. It gets sorted within a few hours. So I don't try immediately.

12. guest

guest Guest

Firefox that comes with Ubuntu - with the help of Wubi. I didn't modify it (apart from adding bookmarks) and it really sucks, lol.

I wish I could run my Windows portable browsers on Ubuntu. As I can't, I use Ubuntu even less than I would normally use. As of now, I'm using it for about one hour per month. :D

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Firefox is my primary browser, I have Chrome and IE in a windows VM for testing (I am a web developer).
    Firefox because of the add-ons I use can't be matched by what is available by Chrome yet.

guest,

Why do you want to run portable browsers ?

Cheers, Nick.

14. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i have 3 browsers

i run firefox as default browser for surfing youtube ........ wilders.....etc

opera for social sites mail where i use my personal info ....etc

chrome for personal gateway and highly secure sites ......etc

15. guest

guest Guest

Because I already tweaked them and added many extensions -- and I don't want to somewhat "repeat the process" with installed versions.

Not even talking about all the pros of a PA.com application.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I just tried Seamonkey's editor. Saved a "complete" web page, then put Seamonkey into "work offline" mode and then edited the web page to remove stuff I didn't want to see. Pretty neat. It looks a lot like Kompozer but seems to work much better.

17. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Firefox - Mouse Gestures Redox is the only mouse gestures application for a web browser I have used that fits my wants.

Midori - installed as part of the CTKArch setup.

Arora - installed as part of the CTKArch setup.

18. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm running Firefox confined with AppArmor as my primary browser and Chrome Beta just for testing.

I prefer FF as it's more configurable, has more and better extensions and provides better protection against widespread risks like XSS and Clickjacking (with Noscript) - which is much more relevant than having a sandbox (particularly if you use AppArmor).

19. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

How many do I have?

Well there is Konqueror, that comes with KDE. Then I have Seamonkey (which I really don't see as a browser), then I have Lynx and Links. Oh and of course I have Firefox, which is the browser I actually use.

Why are these installed? Well the come as part of Slackware's default install.

20. linuxforall

On Ubuntu I have three, FF, Chrome and Opera, on Chakra I have quite a few, FF, Qupzilla, Chrome and Rekonq.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.