Snapshots inside Virtualbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Victek, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'd like to install a snapshot program, such as Comodo Time Machine (CTM), inside an XP VM that I run with Virtualbox. Would CTM be a good choice or would you recommend something else? I'm not up on the differences between Returnil, CTM, Time Freeze, etc, so any help is appreciated.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Doesn't Vitualbox have it own snapshot ability like Vmware?

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

yes it does, i love that feature. its quite efficient in the amount of space the snapshots take up.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, I had read that, but I couldn't find anything in the Virtualbox help. I just noticed the snapshot button in the UI so I need to give that a try. Is there any documentation for the feature?

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The snapshot functionality is explained here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#snapshots

There's no need for any 3rd party utils such as CTM,since the snapshot facility works superbly in my experience.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Terrific, thanks!

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You're welcome Victek123 :thumb:

The only thing to note is that whilst the likes of CTM automatically create a current snapshot before restoring an earlier one;you'll need to do this manually with Virtualbox.

8. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

One thing I would like to advise with the VB snapshot feature that wasn't initially intuitive to me at first was the process of removing old snapshots without crippling your entire virtual OS. You can not simply delete old snapshots that have children etc.

My situation was I had a base install, then had several monthly patched or changed snapshots. After a while I wanted to delete the older images, simply hitting delete will cause your entire system to corrupt. You can play musical chairs to merge them, however I wanted to do it the proper way, thus to delete older images:

You must remove the disk image from the Virtual Media Manager. Only once this is done, should you remove the disk image from the Snapshots menu.

What am I rambling about?

1)First restore your Virtual Machine's state to the latest snapshot; you can do this using the Snapshots menu in the main window.

2) Go to File -> Virtual Media Manager -> expand the relevant hard disk (In your case XP). There should be a '+' symbol next to it. This symbol indicates there are snapshots attached to this disk image. (There may be multiple '+' signs in the form of a tree under your main hard disk. Those correspond to all your snapshots that you've taken over time for that one image.)

2) If you click on each and every item in that entire tree; you'll find that only 1 or 2 snapshots are actually 'attached' to your virtual image. Those are the only ones that you need. The older snapshots will be in a 'non-attached' state and can be removed. You can just highlight each of them and then remove them.

3) Once your 'Virtual media manager' is 'clean' and only the current snapshot is 'attached' you can now go to the Snapshots tab; right click and remove all the snapshots you did not want. VirtualBox will do a few merging operations and eventually leave you with only the current snapshot.

This may sound confusing at first, but only is a 15 second operation after you run through it once and is the safe way to remove older snapshots. :cool:

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks, I will check it out. I'm guessing you learned this the hard way...

10. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

That I did;)

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yeah I was wondering how to do that as well. I have VM workstation and I couldn't find where to manage snapshots. At least ones that were children. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.