Snapshot problem and boot screen issue...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by NonSuch, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

I decided to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro and so I installed FirstDefense-ISR and took a snapshot of my system and anchored my data files. It's a good thing I did, because something wasn't quite right with the new install and it was obvious within a day or two that something had gotten corrupted along the way and my primary snapshot was no longer stable and finally just froze up on me. I managed to copy the secondary snapshot back over to the primary snapshot, and so got back to where I originally was except for two problems.
    1. Although my secondary snapshot is approximately 12 GB, which is what it should be, I now have a primary snapshot that's 18 GB! (Obviously, some of the the XP Pro files must have stuck around). Can I remove the primary snapshot and just make a new duplicate of the secondary snapshot?

2. Something must have gone a bit wrong when I was booting from one snapshot to another. My boot screen is now so huge it no longer displays properly, but spills off the screen to the left and right. I would like to return this to its normal size. (This display problem is only with the boot screen, every thing else displays normally)

I would really appreciate some help with these issues.

Thanks! :)

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Archive all of your snapshots to a separete parttion or disk. Create a new empty snapshot copy snapshot 2 into it and - choose boot to the new snapshot. see what happens

If you choose to do a fresh install make sure that you create an empty snapshot first - choose boot to it and then install XP - Do not format the snaif will destroy the other snapshot data

Hope this helps

3. NonSuch

I really don't want to do a fresh install, and that would not solve the issue with the boot screen.

Thanks for your input. :)

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

boot screen is a graphics card or monitor problem

5. NonSuch

I thought I should come back post about the resolution of my two issues...

I contacted Raxco, the company from whom I had gotten FD-ISR. They were extremely helpful. As it turns out, the boot screen issue was cleared up by updating to the latest version of FD-ISR. Then I simply removed the primary snapshot and all is well again. :)

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent news! :thumb:

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.