Snapshot copy speed

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I am using the new version of FD-ISR (3.31.232) and went with the default of vss for the copy engine. Before I used rss.

Compared to rss it takes a long time (11 seconds) to get going, which I believe is something to do with vss checking on other areas using this service.

My copy speed is now around the 1995-2020kb mark. This does not apply for copies to external disc where it is much quicker.

Is this about the speed other users achieve ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That's going to be a function of your disks, cpu, bus, etc. Also in my case since I go to archives, most of the time, that will be faster.

Pete

3. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

if FD-ISR could support multiple cores will be more fast

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

And this helpful how??

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Yes, I have noticed that too when VSS was introduced.
    I assumed that it takes more time to start the service. If you like you can reverse to using RSS, it's documented somewhere.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I would like to do that but thought I'd better try and get used to VSS as Todd said they are doing away with RSS in the future.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting development. As i employ the original version i always found that RSS was at least more stable, the speed aspect of Copy/Update didn't really enter the picture for me as much as functionality as opposed to some who grimmed a bit over it.

This app is sure to go down in history as a pioneer of ISR innovation that just so happen to pop on the scene at the right time, and they say timing is everything.

It still escapes me how the home user workstation version of before fell so short for Raxco as to turn it back over to Leapfrog (i think) and in search of another distributor, HDS of all groups picked it up but carved it down to lesser standards then before.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.