Snap Deploy and Windows XP Licensing

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by jaymz1102, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaymz1102

jaymz1102 Registered Member

I'd like to deploy 60 Windows XP Professional workstations using Acronis Snap Deploy. Evalutation has been successfully completed. But there still is one question left regarding Windows XP License Keys and Activation.

As we have bought 60 Lenovo ThinkCentre workstations each having a dedicated Windows XP OEM License certain concerns arose.

I took a complete master image of the first workstation including all required apps and settings. When deploying this master image to all the other 59 workstations they all will have the same Windows key as we have no volume license key. This Windows key has then been already activated.

If Microsoft intends to extend its Windows Genuine Advantage procedure and stores some information regarding the applied Windows key in its WSUS 3.0, problems will emerge.

WSUS 3.0 is installed, configured and operable. Clients will update Windows XP and Office 2003 through GPO settings. I'm afraid of Microsoft reading 60 times the same license key for 60 different workstations through whatever approach possible. What if they even shut down or deny further updates to my workstations through WSUS or Automatic Updates?

To make a long story short:
    Is it possible to deploy each workstation with its designated license key in whatever way thinkable using Snap Deploy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Alex

2. sgilbert

sgilbert Registered Member

from what i have learned so far that is what you would use Microsoft Sysprep for. Then it would run the mini during the first boot of the deployed workstation and let you input its individual key. I have not figured it out yet however.

Also you could go to the workstation and use the activate function then select update key.

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.