SmartPhone Battery Charging

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is leaving a SmartPhone charger connected to a SmartPhone for several hours after the charging is complete bad for the battery?

Occasionally I forget and leave my SmartPhone connected to the charger overnight.

Thanks in Advance.

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

What's the kind of battery your smartphone uses?

3. TheKid7

I forget the type of battery. However, it is the same type which used in the typical newer model SmartPhones. My SmartPhones are recent Models.

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

If it is a Li-ion battery, it includes a circuit that monitors the charge level, and that automatically interrupts the charging process when a defined level is achieved (otherwise the Li-ion battery would explode...) So, AFAIK, there's no problem in leaving the charger connected.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I highly doubt it.

That's is what I've done with ever since owning mobile phones. I plug them into the charger at night and then unplug them when I wake up in the morning. Lately I've stopped charging my phone as often because I don't need to - it's still got 60% capacity after three days.

6. TheKid7

To go from a 100% charge to about 25% charge, it takes about 5 to 6 days. I mainly use the SmartPhone as a phone and don't make/receive but a few calls. I do very limited web surfing with the SmartPhone.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

On weekdays i often charge my phone twice a day at least, i get bored fast in college. :rolleyes:
    Regarding your question, i dont know if it would affect the battery life but i never leave my phone charging overnight. :D

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've always left my smartphone on charge overnight and never had any battery issues. Any modern battery has built in circuitry to stop overcharging. Ambient temperature is a lot more damaging to batteries, i'd be more worried about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.