Smart Security Install in Catch 22!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Wand, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wand

Wand Registered Member

I tried to install 32 bit trial onto a Windows XP machine. It crashed. Now I can't repair the install or uninstall it. I keep getting a 2753 error. So now that system has no anti-virus protection and I can't get anything installed, ESET or other. How can I delete all traces of ESS on that system so I can start over? Is there a removal tool out there? Something else was running that had a conflict with ESS (Pure Networks' Network Magic, I believe) and caused the problem. I had just installed a new router on my system and this software just installs on its own. I'm not impressed with it after seeing it included with D-Link products for several years now.

Anyway, back to my problem. I emailed ESET about the problem 10 hours ago and they still have not responded. I guess they don't want our future enterprise business for new servers, etc. Their sales rep also has not contacted me again after promising to do so last week.

I hope this is not indicative of their support. From everything I've read over the years, the NOD32 product is the best and fastest and lowest resource solution on the market. We're installing Windows 2008, Exchange 2007, Hyper V, Terminal Server, App Server, etc. and I have not been impressed with the other players in the server, enterprise AV market. Comments would also be appreciated about this.

Thanks for any help.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Wand

Wand Registered Member

Thanks Ron,

That seemed to do the trick. I ran the clean-up utility, rebooted, and did a new install of ESS without a hitch.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Glad it helped Wand.

5. Wand

Wand Registered Member

When I ran the utility there were some interesting items there that I have no idea about. There were also about 8 different listings starting with ESS. I tried deleting them all at once, but that didn't work, but deleting one-by-one worked just fine.

Any idea what "default" is in the list?

Thanks again!

P.S. Now trying to run a full AV scan on system that hasn't had any AV or firewall running today. Just got an error and told to reboot. I had just seen a message fly by about Pure's Network Magic preparing a daily report. I suspect this application is still messing with things. Do you know of an inexpensive program out there that documents the network in a similar but more comprehensive way than Network Magic?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not sure what your saying here. Info?
    No I don't. We have several posters more familiar with networking that post here. Hopefully they can help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.