Smart Security 5 won't update db

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by JohnnyRamrod, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyRamrod

JohnnyRamrod Registered Member

Just bought SS5 online. Replaced a successful year of MacAfee because 1. this was cheaper and 2. it had been recommended to me.

So, was more than a little annoyed to purchase it, install it, and thn find i can't seem to update the database files at all. If I manually click 'Update virus signature database' it goes and downloads 45mb worth of files, then, while processing them it fails, with a popup down near the system tray saying 'Error downloading file from update server'. After this, back on the console it says 'Virus signaure update failed'.

The thing is, the file seems to download fine, it's during processing that it seems to fail. it tries to update 19 things (starts at 1/19), and then during that process it fails.

I do have internet connectivity, i can ping the eset update servers, it does seem to download ok, and i have re-entered my username and password combo. Can i get some help please? As can probably be imagined, this is hardly a ringing endorsement for a new user who's just forked out $60 on a product.

Current db version installed says 7010 which apparently was published on 29th March, so it's pretty much useless...

It does say 'Update not necessary, the virus signature database is up to date' underneath the link to update the virus database. but i ignored this for obvious reasons - the db is 6 months old, and is not up to date at all...

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Clearing the Update Cache should resolve this issue you're having. Here's the ESET Knowledgebase Article with steps on this process:

kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2875&ref=wsfError downloading file and cannot update virus signature database (5.x)

As shown on step 2e, after restarting the computer you may need to manually push the next update through. After this, all VSD updates should download automatically.

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Since you mentioned the computer previously had McAfee's software on it, did you uninstall that from the Programs item on the Start Menu and then run McAfee's Consumer Product Removal Tool to remove any leftover remnants before installing ESET Smart Security? If not, it is possible there could still be some McAfee code on the computer interfering with ESET's update mechanisms.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.