Smart Security 5 will not install

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Joejr, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

I had a corrupt Smart Security 4 on this computer that would not unistall. I purchased SS5 yesterday and tried to install (Win7 32bit). After dozens of attempts, it fails every time. Errors messages include "Computer has not been restarted after a program uninstallation...." Not true at all. I've rebooted many times! I logged in regedit and got an error code of 2826. I submitted a complaint thru Eset but haven't heard back. I've reviewed many of these posts and nothing seems to work. I even tried the Safe Mode uninstall to clean out any remaining AV files. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

Thanks. I Did that earlier and it removed all my AV proggys. Still no luck.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what was your previous Av?

5. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

I was using Eset Smart Security 4.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is the Base Filtering Engine service running ?

7. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

That's a good question! I'm not really sure. I ran sfc/scannow and it repaired all files but the install still fails. Is there an easy way to determine if bfe is running? I searched and found bfe.dll on my puter but I can't quite figure out if it's really running or not. I searched using services.msc and do not see it in the list. Nor does the Windows firewall work. I'm guessing the answer to your question is "no".

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. Marcos

Open the Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Services and search for "Base Filtering Engine" in the list. It is known that sfc does not repair BFE.

9. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

It's not there. I tried to perform a system restore back to last month but that didn't work either. The restore failed. I've run the Eset online scanner and removed a couple trogans a few days ago and Malware comes up clean too. My daughter complained a couple weeks ago when a link she clicked on popped up the red screen from Eset. Ever since then I have been fighting firewall issues. It appears that everything is clean but still can't install the new Eset.

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

11. Marcos

Follow these instructions to get BFE back and install ESS then.

12. Joejr

Joejr Registered Member

Thanks! I ended up restoring to a setting 2 months ago and got it to install. Thanks so much for the support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.