Smart Security 5 External USB Drive System Hang

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jsers, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsers

jsers Registered Member

After Smart Security 5 installation the system would hang when an old USB external drive was plugged in. A newer SimpleTech 500GB portable drive would not hang the system when it was plugged in. The solution turned out to be in the BIOS of the system. The BIOS USB Legacy Support was "Disabled" and the system would hang. The BIOS USB support was changed to have USB Legacy Support "Enabled" and the system would operate properly without a hang. (FYI: the system is an old Fujitsu laptop).

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you use Windows XP, I'd suggest downgrading to v. 4.2 until the issue is solved.

3. alltweed

alltweed Registered Member

You might pass this along to your support team.

As of Jan 2nd, I got a reply from support to simply uninstall and then install latest V5 version which has proven not to work at this time. My reply was for them to review the forum to see that the fix has not held to my knowledge at this time.

Namely for XP systems:

Connecting USB drives freezes system let alone gettign access to the drive and requires a hard shut down to get access to your system again. Bad for HD!!!

4. coolguy005

coolguy005 Registered Member

Yes i have checked it very well and the problem does exist with xp .....i rolled back to version 4 and now its fit and fiine ...however i did not try turning off usb legacy...do we have to manually turn usb legacy abled just once or everytime we boot up ....and is there any harm in abling it manually when by default of the antivirussettings it is turned off......though i am not sure tthat despite the claims by eset that this issue has been fixed why version 5.0.95 does not fix this at all...i think eset should work really good on this checking the modules ...we are not able to upgrade to version 5.0.95.though i am sure eset engineers must be working hard but the issue is that Hdds are frequently used by users of the antivirus and somethiing like this is very annoying ..many newbeeis would just switch over to other antivirus most likely those whose subscription is about to end or who are just trying it ....and eset should mention this among bugs before even 5.0.95 is installed ....and if turning off usb legacy is a quick temporary solution then it must be mentioned in the very beginning ...an honest approach is appreciated much

5. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I do not think the BIOS switch for Legacy USB support is the answer to all problems. It is enabled on my system and has been enabled. However, 5.0.95 still causes a problem with external USB drives IF they are connected after the system is up and running. The only way to solve this problem that I ever found was to connect the drive before starting the system and then disconnect after shutting down. That's actually inconvenient, which is why I decided to fall back to version 4.2.71.2. I suppose that if I were forced to do it, I could go that route. Flash drives don't cause that same problem.

Added: Just to be sure, I just tried 5.0.95 with Legacy USB support disabled, and that did not help. I re-enabled Legacy USB support, and that did not help, either. I have gone back to 4.2.71.2 and will probably stay there until my subscription is up in March 2012.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  6. Hans Nieuwenhuis

Hans Nieuwenhuis Registered Member

I have the same problem here: Windows XP SP3, English; Lenovo Thinkpad X200 computer.

Eset Smart Security 5.0.95.

The computer hangs if I connect an external hard disk via USB port.

Very inconvenient, because I haven't made a backup of that PC now since November 2011 or so.... :'(

I really would appreciate an update which solves this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.