small test of MSE

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Exactly! Install whatever makes you feel comfortable.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i hope BSOD's etc. feel comfortable to that guy ;)

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

The problem is that no one has really done a complete analysis of potential conflicts (especially in some edge cases).

So I can't guarantee it would work as expected. It installs fine, and doesn't cause any immediate conflicts (hangs/crashes etc) but to evaluate whether the two products really work flawlessly together would require much deeper analysis and longer-term testing.

Thanks
    vlk

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

My Virtualbox could not care less, worried firzen771.

Thanks for the comment vlk, doubts about "system shield" should be obvious unless Avast guarantee that, problems wont show until too late and even then how to tell, but there are other modules :) Keeping current state with "flawless" installation is already great. Bootscan, on-demand features should work at least - or what is the point of a degree of "compatibility". More will be unofficial bonus, based on user experiments and not supported - is what I hear you say. There is also the other option of resident MSE being turned off and Avast running with everything on. Much testing ahead.

5. firzen771

my only concern is a user searching google and finding this thread then seeing u saying theyre fine to run together then end up getting a BSOD on a REAL machine, thats wen the problem happens.

6. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

What do you think "random persons using weird bundle and getting bsod in 20min dont count" mean? This combo, whatever is safe to say it can consist of, is worth investigating and not wipe away with "never run 2 AVs blah blah". MSE official policy is as wrong as making blank statements about Avast 5 (which is beta 2) vs. MSE. They say "security products" = everything, including for example Malwarebytes. If main theme on their forum is not to only use MSE and Windows stuff in general you can slap me silly. I need to read more but where they come from was pretty clear last I looked. But how it is with many company forums. Communication level is adjusted to lowest level and covering own butt is top priority. I think MS offer free phone support when hit by infection or other problem - the more reason to have a "clean" situation from their point of view.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

No one ever relies on ONE security software to protect their PC. People use a "layered" defense. In the unlikely event malware gets past one, it will be contained by another security measure. So the tests you described mean nothing in the real world.

8. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Actually I would think most do and probably with good reason. We are at Windows 7, not XP with no service packs ;) Add MSE and off you go. I think it holds enough water to clear MS for "not caring" - finally... But I also think they should have made MSE when XP was released so am biased :cool:

Should demand/interest/concern/paranoia increase for whatever reason Avast 5 could be a nice option. Still goes if they decide to lock it down so there is no way to activate real time modules should installation detect MSE. More is better: 1 - less is better: 0 :D

If you refer to MS not exactly welcoming "other security-related programs" as they say, get used to it. For the not so informed it will appear they even exclude tools which are based on being non-conflicting supplements. But to make a clear statement come across that is just an unfortunate result of simplifying message - and besides, they are out to grab market shares so everything goes :cool: Not really that different from other companies. Officially MSE is only here to help those having trouble directing browser to for example avast.com but there are probably higher goals. I hope Avast survives this "attack" but as said I think it was about time MSE got here.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I've been using it to clean infested PCs since it was BETA. And my experience has been very positive.

MSE, combined with MalwareBytes, is pretty much all I need to use now when I get someones infested PC to clean up.

We used to use many tools before..AntiVir, NOD32 because we're an Eset reseller, Spybot, SuperAntispyware, etc. It doesn't matter which tools work best for me, I'll just use what works best, period.

We have many clients and we see a lot of the latest "in the wild, latest variant" infested rigs come into the service department.

Did you see the malware test over at AV-Comparatives.org? MSE was in the top 3, one of 3 programs to get the "good/good" in tests. So his testing, which is generally accepted as quite unbiased and valid, seems to think it's good too.

10. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

As good or as bad as the rest. There are different levels of removing malware. I somehow doubt MSE will make removal forums and their arsenal of tools and tricks redundant :D Dont expect landing pages saying "Install MSE and have a nice day, we are done!". Never going to happen. Test was not really convincing to me. More like a 10 sample "proof" AVs are less than stellar at removing/repairing. Remember people using them for this would have no clue about "certain" registry leftover, perhaps not even "Windows update not working". Much lower "hit rate" compared to prevention and often much more complicated.

11. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

13. elapsed

ROFL, ok, since you're the professional tester of awesomeness I better ignore all the other reviews and dump MSE. What do you suggest I use test master? These tests results mean nothing right? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=256393 Also the fact it scored amongst the top of removal also, means nothing.

If MSE was a dedicated removal tool it would have every chance, but it's not, it's a full fledged protection system. You don't use such programs for removal purposes only, you use small dedicated programs like MBAM.

Just look at the success of the MSRT by Microsoft every month and how many systems it's cleaning.

14. firzen771

he was just stating an opinion based on HIS results, he wasnt forcing anyone to obey his judgement, people can state ther opinions on a forum like this.

15. elapsed

He already stated his opinion in another thread, he was using this opportunity to bump it. You don't consistently bump an opinion unless you think people really need to know it. People don't "really need to know" amateur test results.

16. firzen771

actually he was agreeing with me in his post and showing why in his opinion thru the link :)

17. elapsed

I guess that your opinion of his post then. In my opinion it's just replication of things I see far too often online, people on righteous crusades against programs of all kinds as soon as developers make a change or add a feature that upsets them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.