Small business office 2007 w Business contact manager conflict w FDISR VSS

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mranderson2u, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mranderson2u

mranderson2u Registered Member

I installed MS Small business office 2007 w business contact management and latest service pack 2 and during the install it forces you to install microsoft SQL 2005 (express I think) and low and behold a new VSS writer as well. Now when I use FDISR for anything my read/write speed in kbps have doubled. I used to average about 5500/kbps on most copy/updates etc. Now I average around 9500-10000 kbps. If I boot over to a different snapshot and do a copy/update from that the speed of the copy/update goes back down to around 5500 kbps. Then when I boot back over to the snapshot with ms office 2007 with the new vss writer and do any kind of copy/update from that the speed goes back up to around 9500-10000 kbps again. I'm not complaining because the nice speed increase is good and there are no errors it produces however I'm wondering if FDISR is using the VSS writer from the SQL 2005 install instead and if this is a potential bad thing? I remember a thread around here talking about applications that install VSS writers like imaging applications and such that could pose a problem.

I don't really have a choice NOT to install SQL 2005 as it's forced upon me when installing Business contact management so I just want to hear from others using microsoft office 2007 w sp2 and business contact management that they either are noticing the same thing or are having no problems with FDISR even though a new VSS writer gets installed.

I'm using FDISR v 233 on xphome sp2 and fully patched.

Anyone?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting question, and I am afraid I don't have answers. Maybe Todd will pop in with some info.

Pete

3. mranderson2u

mranderson2u Registered Member

Well like I said I don't have any errors when I make either snapshots or archives. I just have double the speed now. I didn't install any other software after this install and I am not running any security applications yet as I stopped installing stuff when I noticed the speed difference. This is a new fresh install of xphome sp2 with all the updates and that's it besides the same ole printer. I'm hoping since SQL server 2005 express is a free program and free download that someone might try it and see if they see the same thing happen.

I'm a one man operation and I don't do network backups. Hence, I chose NOT to use fdisr ver 235. I'm still using v 233. I guess I'll keep you posted if I start having any errors but so far so good. I think that because I didn't install microsoft accounting 2009 that I have a warning in my microsoft operating system logs about my sql server browser not having a valid configuration since I'm really not using it's capabilites to do anything with since all my backups go to an external usb harddrive.

Hopefully Todd can download a copy of SQL server 2005 express and see what he can make of the vss writer it installs and how that might affect FDISR.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

No need to worry. Windows Vista and Windows 7 VSS also give much better speeds than Windows XP VSS.

Just enjoy the free boost. ;)

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.