small annoying problem

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by webbit, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbit

webbit Registered Member

hi

I have webroot secure anywhere complete, and by the way i think it is great.

But i have this problem with my online account under the PC security tab, i have been in touch with support but they seem to be struggling.
    when i initially installed it all was OK, but i noticed in the back up tab online i was getting multiple entry, when changing credentials, but this happens as i have found out and i have found out how to delete them. But before i could get back to support they seem to have misunderstood me and deleted the 2 PCs form the security tab and now they don't come back, i have re installed about 5 times now.
    As i have a multiple user license i let my dad have one, he installed and 2 entry's of his computer have appeared online... I think my online account is corrupt or something is wrong.

have even tried re naming my pc and have uninstalled using revo uninstaller, cleaned out all the left over files but still no joy? Something on my pc and my daughters pc is not communicating with webroot online.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Our support team will be the best place to go for this. I think fully uninstalling and possibly using a new license/email address might be needed in the event that they can't fix your existing credentials. My guess is that your PC is reporting back in which is causing the problems and re-creating an account after they've fixed it.

3. webbit

webbit Registered Member

im sure it will be sorted its been advanced to the next level, just posted in case anyone else was having similar probs, i guess i am still protected just not being sent in the usual way.

I help a lot of people out in uk and have converted many over to webroot, a lot of my customers are older generation, and webroot is the ultimate install and forget anti virus, this with maleware bytes on demand and windows firewall is the best protection for the bog standard user.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

This is one thing I don't like about WSA, the security console. First of all, users should have the abilty to update the number of security accounts so we don't have to keep asking support to do this. Installing/uninstalling WSA will create a second account. That is ridiculous. It also isn't very intuitive how the different accounts work. For example, if I make changes to WSA on my computer, it can be overidden by global settings in the console.

5. PrevxHelp

It really shouldn't make a different account if you uninstall/reinstall - I suspect this case is specific to the Backup & Sync product which is implemented slightly differently from the rest.

The configuration settings from the console can indeed be used to manage your local configuration if you choose. This lets a single administrator control the configuration of several different devices. If you'd prefer to not use it this way, you can select "User configuration".

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

If there is only one account, then I can select "user configuration." This is not possible with two accounts since both cannot be "user configuation."
    I have never used the Backup & Sync product.

7. PrevxHelp

Interesting, I'll speak with the team as I would have thought you could set user configuration for multiple accounts.

Thanks!

8. PrevxWebDesigner

PrevxWebDesigner Former Prevx Moderator

Hi Thankful,

Your situation sounds very confusing, and certainly is not expected behavior. Under the PC Security console each machine installed with your keycode should be reporting in, and upon clicking them, you can then select which policy that machine should be using.

You should be able to select any of the policies against any of the machines - there certainly shouldn't be any sort of restrictions stopping you from doing that, so if this is indeed the case your account would be one I would need to take a look at (feel free to send me your login email address or keycode via PM and I'll take a look and see if there's anything obviously wrong here).

I'm not sure I'm following what your meaning of "Security Account" is? If you are meaning each PC which reports in under your console, then yes, we are already developing the ability to allow users to Deactivate / Reactivate their own machines (as was possible back in the old MyPrevx console). Having to contact support to handle this isn't an ideal situation, and is one we hopefully will resolve very shortly.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling WSA also shouldn't be creating multiple entries in your console, and is something Joe might be able to cast more light on why that would happen.

If you have selected "User Configuration" as the PCs policy, then this means the end-user is able to make changes to their own WSA settings without them being overridden by the console. If you select one of the other policies, then this will lock their settings down, and any changes they make will be overwritten (something someone who is managing multiple computers remotely would desire).

I hope this makes sense, but don't hesitate to re-post or contact me via PM if I've misunderstood the situation here :)

9. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

PrevxHelp and PrevxWebDesigner,
    Thank you both for responding. I, like many others in Wilders, change my AV from time to time. I will keep an eye on this. Everything is working great now.

10. webbit

webbit Registered Member

me too all sorted from the Dublin office!!

11. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I have the same problem with WSA now using two slots out of three.
    Just opened a support ticket asking them to delete the first slot.
    (I recently replaced my PC)

12. Mango555

Mango555 Registered Member

I am also having this issue and agree with Thankful that the user should have the ability to delete any phantom PC's in the console.
    In my case, I had to reinstall Windows in one PC twice for configuration issues and now this PC is shown 3 times in the console. I have opened a service ticket for resolution.

13. fblais

fblais Registered Member

They have deleted the extra slot, but now I only see two slots total while I should see three!
    They say they see three slots, but that's not what I see.
    Followed their suggestion to do a deep scan but this didn't help.
    Seems there are bugs and some improvements to be done with this.

14. Mango555

This is fun! Tech Support removed the 2 phantom instances plus the real one (3 total). It seems that was the only way to remove the phantoms. That automatically removed WSE in the affected PC. No problem, I thought, just reinstall WSE. Not so fast, now the PC will not show up in the console. I even renamed the PC in Windows, removed and reinstalled WSE and... nothing happened. The PC will not show up in the online console. It seems that the linkage between the PC and the Webroot server has some very deep bonds in the registry that even a complete removal won't break. The plot thickens!o_O

15. PrevxWebDesigner

I'll raise this with the team again today and look if we can get a solution quickly pushed out to allow users to deactivate their own machines.

Once a machine is deactivated, we see this as a permanent action - meaning it will not report into the console again.

If one of your machines has been incorrectly deactivated, I would recommend contacting support again with the machine details. They have the ability to reactivate this machine, allowing it to report back in again :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Cool! Who is PrevxWebDesigner? Joe #2? :D

17. PrevxWebDesigner

Just to let everyone know, the ability to deactivate machines from the consumer PC Security portal is currently undergoing final testing, and should be released publicly early next week :)

18. Mango555

Just noticed that as PrevxWebDesigner last post, the ability to remove phantom or inactive PC's from the online console is now available!:D

Thank you, Webroot team!:thumb:

19. webbit

webbit Registered Member

i must say the webroot team are fast at acting to any issue, i will be staying with this security for the foreseeable keep up the good work.

In the UK i help a lot of elderly and people who struggle with computing and i recommend webroot essentials as it is so easy to operate, and they dont need any interaction from the user.

20. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Just noticed this post. Thanks for the update. It's removed one annoying feature for me, the other is that I've got two console login names. I've no idea where the other one came from but I can't remove it. Not a big issue but...

21. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Now apparently (according to another thread) people can remove the PC from the console, but can't ever get it back if they remove the wrong one. XD T^T

22. Mango555

As I stated in another post, it seems that the linkage between the PC and the Webroot server has some very deep bonds in the registry that even a complete removal won't break.
    Maybe the Webroot team went too far in their original design of the online console.
    I like the idea of viewing the security status of all my licensed PC's online but it should be just that : good to know information! There should not be any kind of locks as far as the user is concerned.

23. Techfox1976

The probably generates a machine key from a combination of the machine hardware configuration and the OS identification. If the OS ID changes, the hard drive changes, etc, it is a "new machine". This also means that the program can't be "stolen" from one machine onto another by copying all of the files and registry entries because the machine key won't match.

24. Mango555

Techfox1976:
    I agree with your explanation on how/why Webroot or any other software vendor needs to control the proper licensing of their products!
    What I don't agree with is when they bundle this control with a "feature" for their product such as the online console. This tool should only be for the user's benefit and should be user friendly!
    Webroot can maintain their license control through other means that do not put a burden on their customer!! Go to work Guys!:cool:

25. Techfox1976

Consider: Webroot decides to track computers a different way. Somebody snags your reg keys and files and drops them on their own computer, and now the agent thinks it's still the same computer. Maybe it's a package distributed as a torrent. Before you know it, 10,000 copies of "your computer" are checking in to your console as the same computer.

How do you propose the console know what computer is which? How would you do it better? The solution must track license seats accurately and also allow the console to know which computer is which when the program checks in.

Consider your answer carefully, because I will almost invariably shoot it full of holes. ;) (I feel that a lot of people complain without actually understanding the technology or limitations of things. I'm a professional hole shooter, but I do like it when people have ideas that I can't make look like Swiss cheese.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.