Slow System Scans

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by djackino, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djackino

djackino Registered Member

I am experiencing slow system scans using ESET 5.0.93 (does not matter what definition file is being used). What I have noticed is the scanner is processing files in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\BXBAG455 for a long period of time. When I looked at the folder with Windows explorer, there were over 73,000 files, mainly .js files of varying sizes. I don't have java runtime installed on this computer.

ESET found 1 file compromised in the above folder, a .swf file infected with SWF/TrojanDownloader.Agent.NCZ.trojan

Does anyone know what is going on with this folder? These files don't go away when I delete my IE 8 browsing history. I tried asking this question over on bleepingcomputer and did not get any answers.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. The Alien

The Alien Registered Member

Those are all temporary internet files and should be deleted when you clear your browsing history. Try using CCleaner to clear your cache:
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    I always use it to clear my own unwanted files.
    If you clear those files the scanner will complete that folder quicker.

3. djackino

Installed CCleaner and it is now busy erasing the temp internet files in that folder. Thanks.

4. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

Once you playing with your browser settings, you should be able to reduce the reserved filespace with IE down to appr 50 MBs. (Default setting is up to 1 GB if disk is big enough. ) This will limit the amount of date left in that folder if you forget to clean-up once in a while.........
    Running Start / Programs / Accessories / Systemprograms / 'Clean' would also get rid of lots of unused data.

It is also a good idea to clean up first and empty waste basket before running tools like S&D or Malware Bytes.....

5. djackino

Agreed, thanks wolliballa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.