Slow bootup

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by djstallone, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djstallone

djstallone Registered Member

Basically i had AVG free version 8 and i read that Nod32 makes your pc boots up faster so i removed AVG and installed Nod32 antivirus v 3.0.667
    After the installation the pc took 16scrolls instead of the previous 6scrolls to boot up (scrolls means the number of times the green bar moves from left to right on startup)

Due to this slowww startup time i decided to remove this antivirus trial and to my surprise the pc bootup time is still sooooo slow :S

I am running on XP SP2 and i even tried system restore but still pc bootup/startup is so slow :(

Please help me

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that this "slow" is relative to some "fast" you had in the past?

The more we run these setups the more need there is for a PC cleanup or if car analogy works a "tune up".

Suggest you do some simple things:

0) Backup system, un-install NOd32 and or Avg.

1) Run a CCleaner (free) http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.12.660&l=1033

2) Run a CCleaner registry scan and fix issues and run scan again til no issues appear.

3) Reboot and count your scrolls

4) Run a defrag reboot and count your scrolls

5) Reinstall your AV of choice, reboot and count your scrolls

6) Post back to this thread your observations as we are ALL here to learn ( I hope)

:D

3. djstallone

Well i tried the ccleaner tool, avg removal tool and still 16scrolls as before :S
    currently i am running on no other antivirus so NOD32 must have messed my registry or is doing something as my pc is starting o_O

Problem is that there is no removal tool for this antivirus that i know of..
    meh really i dunno what to do :argh:

4. Escalader

With all due respect you need to follow and refer to the steps. What step have you completed? What were the results? Slow down and go carefully.

Did you back up before running CCleaner? You didn't say!

0) ? Nod32 does have an un-install program right on your All programs tab! Run it!
    1) ?
    2) ? Did you run the registry scan? Multiple times til zero issues?
    3)

Please follow the steps in order other wise things only get worse.

You haven't finished.

5. djstallone

0) Backup system, un-install NOd32 and or Avg. <== i did that and saved my registry doing export

1) Run a CCleaner (free) http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.12.660&l=1033 <== installed it

2) Run a CCleaner registry scan and fix issues and run scan again til no issues appear. <== i run that multiple times and i even entered in safe mode and rerun it till there were 0errors in registry

3) Reboot and count your scrolls <== no change ie:16scrolls :S

4) Run a defrag reboot and count your scrolls <== didn't do this as personally i don't think it is the issue plus it will take huge time on my hdd's

5) Reinstall your AV of choice, reboot and count your scrolls <== before this step i saw that bootup was 16scrolls as before.. installed Nod32 again and 16scrolls remained :cautious:

Basically i am now running on Nod32 antivirus as i don't think my windows will startup any faster with or without it.... but if any of those reading had the same issue pls tell me your ideas :)

6. Escalader

The defrag should be run. Try a free 30 trial of Perfect Disk 2008 as it is lightning fast compared to the windows defrag. If you don't buy it you still get the results of the defrag.

http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk_download.cfm

Also PLEASE run the boot defrag option they have all it need is a tick!

Report back TIME to reboot, is 16 scrolls equal to 16 minutes or 16 seconds or 16 hours?

7. djstallone

ok mate i will try that defreg... one scroll is that time it takes for the green bar to go from left to right.. so maybe it takes 2seconds *16scrolls:D

but what really makes me sad is that when i removed the AV, it didn't go back to the same bootup speed as it was before :mad:
    so it makes me think that something wasnt removed :cautious:

8. GAN

GAN Registered Member

You could try to manually search the registry and search for words like "eset" or "nod32" then manually delete those entries. It's a good idea to have some knowledge about the registry before you start deleting entries since you might end up with a computer that won't boot at all if you delete the wrong keys.

I uninstalled nod32 in the past and still found some leftovers under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\" and CCleaner did not remove those entries. To delete the keys under this part of the registry that is related to nod32 after you uninstalled nod32 and did a reboot should be safe.

A couple of entries that is related to nod32 under services is the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EhttpSrv
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekrn
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\easdrv

You can delete those and everything beneath after you uninstalled nod32 if they are still to be found. Also there might be some entries that is not removed other places as well like under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software". Also search your harddisk for files folders named "eset" or "nod32".

Even if defragmenting your harddisk might be a good idea sometimes i find it very hard to believe that defragmentation have anything to do with the slow boot. Installing and uinstalling nod32 will not make you harddisk so fragmented that the time it takes to boot increase that much. Well i assume it's a lot since "16 scrolls" doesn't really tell me much. Could you convert scrolls into seconds? Even if the Windows defrag is not among the best it should also do a pretty good job if your harddisk is very fragmented so just to try if that make a difference there is really no good reason to try a lot of other defrag software. I also believe that the need of defragmenting the harddisk is highly overrated. Yes it can make the computer a bit faster, but unless the harddisk is very fragmented the difference is close to nothing.....at least that's my experience.

I also have to say that i never seen nod32 cause such a problem that you describe. I have seen a lot of other antivirus cause such a problem with slow boot, but not nod32.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  9. djstallone

16scrolls took me 30seconds
    before it was 1/3 the time since 6scrolls...

i try both your ideas and tell you the results :D

10. djstallone

ok i uninstalled Nod32 again :D

this time i searched for those 3 locations you gave and didn't find them in registry but i did find ESET under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" so i deleted them and my boot up number of scrolls now decreased to 13 :cool:

still a better improvement but damn it why registry entries are not deleted in an uninstall :mad:

11. Escalader

The win defrag is slow. The one I suggested is fast and can defrag the systems boot files, that does effect boot. It also has many other features for eliminating duplicates and cleaning up old garbage that others miss.

Not asking anybody here to bellieve anything on this, just providing ideas and suggestions. 30 seconds boot time anit bad.

The other items that helps is disabling services that still remain from old SW. So check that as well. Is AVG service still present? Or Norton?

I have 24 services running tops!

12. djstallone

look i tried Perfect disk but for 100gb partition it estimates to finish defreg in 10hrs which seems alot :cautious:
    can you tell me what to do? i only defreg system files as it was fast :)

13. philby

philby Registered Member

Have a look at JKdefrag...

Works for me.

Philby

14. madman045

madman045 Registered Member

10hrs to defrag 100gb says to me that 1. your drive is heavily fragmented or 2. your drive/controller has issues, 100gb should take about an hour I would have thought, it took just over 2hrs with my laptop and thats 240gb.

Heavily fragmented drive will have a big performance impact on your pc running, I would suggest you run perfect disk and if possible, leave it running over night so that it's ready in the morning, reboot your pc afterwards and try NOD again.

Having installed Nod 2.7 and v3 on hundreds of PC's, Laptops and Servers, Im yet to see any issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.