Slimbook Executive, long-term usage report 1

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Today, we have a long-term usage review and report 1 of the Slimbook Executive laptop, with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS as the operating system, covering hardware, ergonomics, keyboard functionality, audio and display quality, battery life, case temperatures under different utilization conditions, day-to-day usage, software stability, gaming compatibility under Steam Proton, gaming performance and playability, various problems and niggles related to power management, odd system freeze, icon unpinning, menu shortcut binding, and konsole logs, fun and productivity factors, overall impression, and more. Take a look.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slimbook-executive-report-1.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks.

3. longshots

longshots Registered Member

Glad to see you're sticking with an old desktop background - that was always one of my favourites.

4. Mrkvonic

Slimbook Executive, long-term usage report 2

From me Linux diary: a long-term usage review and report 2 of the Slimbook Executive laptop, with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS as the operating system, covering hardware, ergonomics, battery life, case temperatures, some software problems like freezes after quick suspend-wake, MTP in Dolphin, Skype & keyring, VLC crash on seek after update, TrueCrypt UI crash on mount, and muted notification sounds in the Edge browser, day-to-day usage, overall impression, and more. Happy New Year!

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slimbook-executive-report-2.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I had similar VLC media player crashes.
    I posted in the VLC 3.0 thread, November 12, 2023.
    What I did, was switch Hardware-accelerated decoding 'Automatic' to 'VA-API video decoder via DRM'. This resolved the issue for both my Kubuntu systems.
    I don't know if one of the two chosen resolutions is better, changing the video output, or changing hardware-accelerated decoding.

6. Mrkvonic

Slimbook Executive, long-term usage report 3

What it's like to use a Linux-powered laptop for everyday things - beyond the nerdy dev stuff? To wit, we have a long-term usage review and report 3 of the Slimbook Executive laptop, with Kubuntu 22.04 LTS as the operating system, covering general usability, update problems with VirtualBox due to missing gcc-12 package, excellent software compatibility with WINE and DOSBox, good ergonomics, keyboard, battery life, some spurious errors, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/slimbook-executive-report-3.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

My advice? Stay on 5.27.9 LTS until the bugs get worked out for Plasma 6.

The next thing in Linux is the upcoming PopOS COSMIC Desktop, which all the nerds are swooning over. An alpha is supposed to be released this spring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.