Sleipnir browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I'm trying Sleipnir: it's very fast, quite customizable. I don't know anything about his security, neither about the engine, WebKit. Does someone can tell me something, or his experience about ?

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

It's OK. Don't know about security. Webkit powers the Chrome web browser and others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Sleipnir back when it had Gecko instead of WebKit. I think that it has a lot in common with Maxthon (both have dual engines). I don't know if there is much info on potential security problems with WebKit based browsers. It would be nice to know more.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I don't quite recall who mentioned it, but it either were security researchers/Google or both, that Chrome's strenght is the sandbox, but its weakness was Webkit. I say "was", because they know have forked it and have their own engine Blink, which gives them the chance to eliminate the issues of Webkit, over time.

Chromium (not sure about Canary and Dev versions) already is using Blink.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's not really relevant to this discussion, but I did want to toss out there that the reason for Blink has more to do with getting rid of code Chrome doesn't use/need than security issues really. Webkit has a lot of Apple in it that doesn't really apply to Chrome and code Google believes it can make better. Speaking of, I haven't heard anything else about Blink since that short period of announcements.

6. Daveski17

I am not so sure that it has anything to do with any security issues WebKit may have.

I have found these:

WebKit Security Policy

GitHub WebKit

I doubt that Maxthon/Sleipnir are any less secure than Chrome for most end users.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, it' actually both, but considering we're on a security forum, and a specific question was made about security implications of Webkit, I thought of mentioning of one the reasons. :)

Without researching more, this is something I had in memory and looked at Blink page again:

With Blink we are excited to make large-scale architectural changes to the code, without having to worry about breaking other consumers of WebKit.

One change we’re planning is adding “out-of-process iframes”. These allow Chromium to separate individual parts of a page into separate sandboxed processes. Implementing this will require large restructuring of how iframes are handled in WebKit. Some of this restructuring is incompatible with other WebKit ports and has thus been delayed until now.

Source: -http://www.chromium.org/blink

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A little security at least

Attached Files:

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I use both Maxthon and Sleipnir regularly, and both are functional enough for everyday use. Sleipnir is better in that it maintains compatibility with Chrome extensions for the most part. Maxthon, on the other hand, doesn't have nearly as much compatibility but to me has a better user experience, intuitive interface and nifty functions (like reader mode, night mode, default enabled Do Not Track).

It's really a toss between these two - both offer the ability to sync the browsing experience between all supported platforms (via Maxthon Cloud or Fenrir Pass). However, I'd like to stress that they are not really that similar to each other - Maxthon uses a modified Chromium with a modified WebKit and a modified V8 JavaScript engine and they like to call their implementation as "MxWebKit".

On the other hand, Sleipnir is just Chromium re-skinned, re-tooled and shipped with a bunch of nifty features (like the smart tab functionality). Under the surface it's still pretty much Chromium, whereas Maxthon's code changes go a bit deeper.

10. blacknight

Sleipnir is very fast, but too essential. I didn't try Maxthon because I don't understand if the clouding is an option that can not installed/disabled, or if it's anyway background working.

11. Daveski17

The cloud in Maxthon doesn't actually have to be utilised. You can only use it if you have a Maxthon account & that has to be signed into, not unlike with Google & Chrome's cloud. I don't use the cloud with Maxthon, it doesn't hinder the use of the browser in any way. If you decide to try Maxthon, the extensions: Maxthon Flag (Flagfox), Flash Block & Wolfram Alpha work very well.

12. blacknight

Thank you for the answer :). I wish to be sure: if I don't use the cloud, it only sleeps or is disabled ? My concern is that the cloud doesn't call home also if I don't use it.

13. ance

ance formerly: fmon

It uses webkit and therefore it has the same ugly font-rendering as Chrome. :( I know, I can change to IE10-mode but ... then I can use IE10 instead. :D

14. Daveski17

AFAIK it (the cloud) is only activated if you have a Maxthon account & actually want it activated. Maxthon are just pushing the whole 'cloud browser' idea as a marketing thing I think. I use Maxthon a lot without using the cloud at all. The portable is also very good. I really can't recommend it as a browser enough. It has a lot of things 'out of the box' including a built-in adblocker with its own content blocker (not unlike Opera's) .

15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi Daveski17, do you know some Maxthon extension that works like "XTranslate" extension in Opera? "XTranslate" allows to translate straight after selecting the text and when text is selected comes out the translation in the same page with the translated text immediately showing up beside.

Thanks in advance. ;)

16. Daveski17

Maxthon has a built in translator which uses Google or YouDao (you can choose between them). The only other translation extensions are here.

17. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I'm using their built in translator, but I would like to have something like "XTranslate"; it seems that there aren't similar extension in Maxthon indeed.

Thanks again. :cool:

18. Daveski17

Unfortunately, a lot of extensions that worked with Mx 3 don't work with Mx 4. Fortunately Mx has a lot of stuff built in. One of the reasons I use it a lot is for the Safari-style reader mode.

19. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I used it when it was named MyIE2; I'm now trying it with satisfaction and I'm thinking to replace Opera by Maxthon.

For now Maxthon is an excellent browser to my needs!

20. Daveski17

I used the Gecko/Trident Mx as well. Mx has replaced Opera for me.

21. blacknight

sleipnir 4.3.2: it seems more stable than previous versions on my pc. But I can't understand if it's possible to save the " secure mode " browsing for every session and tab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.