slave drive assignments missing after cloning primary

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rcrete, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rcrete

Rcrete Registered Member

i successfully cloned my old 40gb primary hdd (c:) to a new 80gb hdd. boot is successful to c:, but drive assignments are missing to existing slave 120gb hdd (previously f: and g:).

I can "see" slave in Setup and when running partionmagic. how do I retrieve previous assignments? why did these go away when the cloning only affected the c: drive?

Thanks

2. aoz

aoz Registered Member

Are you in Windows XP?

If so, administrative tools, Disk management.
    In there, if you are able to see the slave drives, it may be that they need a letter assigned to them.

If they are NOT visible, then I'm not sure what the problem is.
    Nick

3. fuzzo

fuzzo Registered Member

i have a service request in on this very issue. the only drive windows will see as a primary slave is the source hd i cloned, if the cloned drive is the master. it's puzzling as this was supposed to be fixed in the latest build, 3633.

hang in there, i'll post the fix if i ever get one from acronis.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rcrete,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took to clone your hard drive. Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows? Did you unplug one of the hard drives (original or cloned hard drives) right after the disk cloning process has been finished. This may case drive letter assignment issue.

As the slave 120GB hard drive as you said had letter F, I may assume that either the primary hard drive has several partitions or you have another devices in your system (CD/DVD drives , another hard drives), am I right? Was the letter F assigned before or after you connected the new 80GB hard drive. What drives/devises are connected after clone is finished?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. cdj

cdj Registered Member

aoz, thanks! :thumb:

I had the same problem tonight, followed your recommendation and the drive was there. Just needed to reassign the drive letters and back in business.

6. instarx

instarx Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. Windows has simply lost the drive letter assignment for your old drive(s), To fix:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    2. Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the right pane, you’ll see your drives listed. CD-ROM drives are listed at the bottom of the pane.
    3. Right-click the drive or device you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    4. Click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the drive letter you want to assign, and then click OK.

This fixed my issue, I hope it solves your problem, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.