SL 6.2 - NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0 has fallen off the bus.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

SL 6.2 (64 bit) using latest kernel and nvidia 295 drivers. The system boots, advances to log in and the total freeze. Checking the log I see this message:

NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0 has fallen off the bus.

I found this ref. to the problem. Should I follow the advice ? Can someone help ? ..My first real problem since install about 1 year ago. Damn!

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-ubuntu-rhel-fedora-linux-nvidia-nvrm-gpu-fallen-off-bus/

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

sorry man i dont know o_O i wish i could help

i guess you should wait for more answers

last maybe work maybe not is

yum rollback if you installed new kernel

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I hope it's not the motherboard. Further dicussed here

4. mack_guy911

ocky somehow your repos mix i guess or some multiple transaction errors i face althoe diffrent but same blank screen problem after reverting back SL didnt work

try yum history info you see EE on installs is yes then pretty sure your OS corrupted even yumroll back dont work

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=257730

and if others working fair i doubt you have hardware problem just new driver too messy i face new driver problem on windows vista as well thats why i am sticking to what work best

5. mack_guy911

also try these

when you having blank curse try Alt Crt F2 or some other it work give you CLI mode

also disabling SElinux and check i face that problem every time in fedora due to SElinux when ever i disable it work many time its due to some silly policy check if that causing problem

3rd remove card clean PCI socket for dust and give a try

few days ago my system stop working i face this silly problem in Linux OS many times what i do for solution i remove all components clean slots with help of dry paint brush/blower and put one ram only let bios change hardware mapping then i boot into Linux

it change memory mapping.

when it work then i insert all other things and change memory mapping again and system work i try this at least 6-7 times on all systems and it always work also if my ram show errors i change it some other slot being greedy and check again it works 99% only once i have faulty ram

also last when you remove your parts and reinsert then make sure don’t pushing them very hard/deep it also cause problem just put them till it get locked not much

edit: when memory get corrupted even in single OS mapping of Linux it make none of your system os boot strange it must load some crap in bios i guess solution i said as above i try it always work

this problem i face 6-7 on all linux OS even on diffrent machines

hope one option work for you :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks mack, I will check over the weekend. Didn't know about EE so was surprised that I could not rollback. I might reinstall if nothing works. :argh:

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It was the graphics card. I have now inserted a GT520 card, but after downloading the nvidia current version drivers 195x (in Ubuntu 10.04) I can't get the module to load.
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Tried:-

sudo modprobe nvidia
    sudo nvidia-xconfig followed by restart x

lspci shows
    Controller #2
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1040 (rev a1)

What else can I try ?

dmesg....

NVRM: The NVIDIA GPU 01:00.0 (PCI ID: 10de:1040) installed
    [ 18.606254] NVRM: in this system is not supported by the 195.36.24 NVIDIA Linux
    [ 18.606255] NVRM: graphics driver release. Please see 'Appendix A -
    [ 18.606256] NVRM: Supported NVIDIA GPU Products' in this release's README,
    [ 18.606256] NVRM: available on the Linux graphics driver download page at
    [ 18.606257] NVRM: www.nvidia.com.
    [ 18.606263] nvidia: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -1
    [ 18.606335] NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine failed for 1 device(s).

It looks like that driver 195.36.24 doesn't support my card (GT520). http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-195.36.31-driver.html I will need to install from nvidia, is that so ?

PS. Kubuntu 11.10 and Scientific Linux are fine - drivers didn't need reinstalling.

EDIT. all sorted, I made life easy for myself - used the x swat ppa. Now running 295.20 on lucid.

EDIT. My old 9600GT was only 3½ years old. How long do these things generally last ?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  8. mack_guy911

ocky try your nvidia on someone else system with windows ;)

i still doubt its card 9600GT is excellent card wonder why it go so soon very strange o_O

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I suppose I was unlucky, c'est la vie and all that. Next to go will probably be a 7 year old WD
    10000rpm hard drive. Grrrr...

10. mack_guy911

just dont panic few bad sectors LOL i running a old drive since 1992 lot of bad sectors running gateway on it they work pretty good on linux :D

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

The guy I bought the new card from, today asked me to give him the faulty one. He wants to
    'bake' it, whatever that means/is good for. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.