Skyfall and Solace

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Trooper, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Well, we'll see. But, most likely to be Spectre-class vulnerabilities, there will be a stream of those.

All using side-channels, whose risks have been known forever but conveniently forgotten in the rush for speed and profit. Instead of giving us extra cores (harming their high end/data centre profits), we've had incremental improvements based on slapdash implementations of dodgy optimisations.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"...A website that began going viral today, Skyfallattacks, suggests more potential attack vectors are imminent. Currently, the site is basically just some text that alludes to two allegedly potential new attacks dubbed Skyfall and Solace. (Someone out there really likes Daniel Craig’s James Bond—marketing!) Little is known about this new pair of alleged exploits, and it’s entirely possible they’re entirely bull<snip>..."

https://gizmodo.com/intel-claims-90-percent-of-affected-cpus-have-live-patc-1822192075

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

As someone who is not a techie: how likely will one be vulnerable in the real world against these attacks, asssuming one uses a browser/ email client (interface with the internet) that is fully patched ?

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

IMO, at beginning not very likely if you are not high value target. Most members of this forum will probably be "high hanging fruit" even if vulnerabilities get exploited in wild. If it gets exploited and affects most of regular users it will be a problem of whole tech industry and not just individuals.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

Meltdown and Spectre have opened up the whole "firmware vulnerability can of worms" that has existed for years for full public disclosure. And frankly, it's high time this was done. Like I keep saying, this isn't one isolated hardware issue. The whole small computer architecture is flawed security-wise and has been since "day one."

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Am I correct in what i saw that implies the only way this exploits can run is if they somehow get on your machine.

8. deBoetie

Exactly - they have to execute instructions (including high-resolution timing measures). So for clients, that is most likely delivered by browsers as scripts. Conventional sandboxing, process isolation, rings etc. avail you naught in controlling this. But fuzzing the accuracy of the timing measures is pretty helpful, which is what the latest FF patch does, for example.

As @itman notes of course, these side channel attacks have been around forever, and well-known to competent hardware/chip designers. Perhaps what's different is that Intel in particular has maximised profit and milked the cash cow for many years, based on dodgy and dangerous optimisation rather than letting people have more real cores for reasonable money. So you have the absurd situation where a smartphone has more cores than your desktop and some at least have not gone down the Spectre-vulnerable optimisation route on the Smartphones. As Snowden said: clients are "terrifically weak".

I'd encourage people to also think about the cloud and their indirect exposure to systems and data running there. While hopefully your main providers will not be running on shared systems, and will control their software extremely tightly, that won't always be the case. For instance, if you're running a VPS or something, your certificates on the machine might possibly be vulnerable - depending on your hoster.

9. Peter2150

Thanks deBoetie. I've approached this by being strict about email practices and also tight control of what can run on the system via MZwritescanner, Appguard and ExeRadarPro.. Also using Firefox 57 and Noscript

10. deBoetie

I think that's pretty much all we can do at this stage. There's also ad-blocking and malicious site blocking (which I do on the router these days), and also some merit in using Firejail or Sandboxie to block internet access for those programs that don't need it, so that they can't phone home (as well as for most userspace programs). I also think that VMs continue to offer good protection, even though they are likely more permeable than desired, the risk is small.

11. Peter2150

All my high risk stuff is done in a VM machine that is big enough to replicate my desktop.

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.