Sky Digital 'Digibox' phone connection

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CompilerBacter, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know how many UK members there are here so this may be off the mark, but anyway I have a question.

When signing up to Sky Digital in the UK, you are required to keep an active phone line connected to your Digibox, (Set top box), at all times. Failure to do so breaks the terms of the contract. The phone line is used to send data back. I have been assured that this 'data' is only sent if you use the interactive services but the deal is funded by "Marketing Contributions Limited" or some such company which I think is part of the BSkyB group. Now it is really difficult, i.e. expensive, to get around this, and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this?
    Is it used, for example, to profile the viewer for spam purposes? I have read the small print and it does say that *personal info* supplied during sign-up WILL be used in this way.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I've come to be wary of any device that wants to be connect to an outside line at all times.

Even Microsoft is now jumping on the bandwagon with their MSTV services, that they *claim* will not transmit any personally identifiable information back. Tivo, I believe released data about what commercials were the most popular among Tivo users during the SuperBowl (obviously this required watching what those users were watching...which is slightly scary from a privacy point of view).

Given that the deal is funded by a company with "marketing" in their name, I would be wary what they do with the information.

I don't think any self-respecting company would use the data for obvious spam purposes, but if you are extremely concerned, I dont see how it could hurt contacting this organization to see exactly what they do with the data (ESPECIALLY considering it says personal info WILL be used in that way...).

Hope you find this somewhat useful.  :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.