Situation getting worse

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Uli9000, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uli9000

Uli9000 Registered Member

I was getting bsod's on installation of RVS 2010 so tried 2008. Later, when unistalling RVS 2008 the system locked up and I had to shut down the uninstaller via task manager.

Since then whenever I try and install RVS 2010 it says that a previous uninstall of RVS was incomplete and I have to finish this before reinstalling RVS 2010.

Anyone got any idea on how I do this?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Unless things are really messed up, you should be able to reinstall RVS 2008 over the damaged install, restart as normal, and once the RVS 2008 install is complete, perform a normal uninstall on the now repaired system.

I've done this during the beta test. Note, you must use the 2008 version if that's the one for which the uninstall was corrupted. Once that version is fully removed, you should be able to go forward with the 2010 version, although I'd personally recommend holding off doing that until the currently reported CPU issues are fully resolved.

If you use other security software, disable them (or the realtime components) while performing the install and uninstall.

Blue

3. Uli9000

Thanks blueZanetti

I gave that a shot but it doesn't seem to have worked. RVS 2008 un/installs fine but whenever I try to install RVS 2010 it says a prior uninstall of a returnil product (it didn't say which one) was incomplete and I have to finish uninstalling this product.

The only sign of what might be happening is that when defreagging my hard drive after corrupted uninstall there was a large section of space labeled 'unmovable' that wasn't there before. Is it possible the virtual disk has been left behind?

I'm sorry but I can't remember whether it was and unistallation of RVS 2008 that went wrong or if it was 2010.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Oh well..., I'd say either contact support or try a detailed manual uninstall of the product on your own.

Blue

5. Uli9000

Situation getting better!

I managed to fix this problem at least. It was 2 files; rvsmon.sys and rvsmonf.sys sitting in C:\windows\system32\drivers.

Now back to the bsod screen.

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Uli9000,
    Are you using MSE by any chance?

Mike

7. Uli9000

Hi Mike

No i'm not using MSE. Using Avast home edition. Anyhow, since the work done on the server RVS 2010 is working fine. I uninstalled all security software and installed RVS 2010, left it for a day then installed Avast and the two work fine together.

Thanks

Uli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.