siteadvisor doesn't work with google anymoore?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bertus19, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertus19

bertus19 Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Reading all your posts for years now and learning from them, this time i have got a question i hope you experts have an answer to. Since a few days (maybe a week or so) McAfee Siteadvisor doesn't show the search results icons in google anymore. In other search engines like Bing or Yahoo, Siteadvisor is still working fine.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is there a solution? (allready tried to reinstall Siteadvisor, but that doesn't solve the problem...)

Thanks !

2. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Bertus19, I can't answer your question because I no longer use McAfee. A simple solution would be to install Web of Trust (WOT). Its a very light Firefox Add-on and works with Google. Also, just in case you don't know about it, I will mention No-Script which is also a highly recommended security add-on.

3. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I am using the stand-alone plugin for Firefox, it works fine. What comes to WOT, in my opinion these two complement each other. No one solution can cover everything :)

4. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

5. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Google changed the search URL so addons have to update to work with the new URL's. Browser Defender also does not work with Google anymore.

7. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I just checked and SiteAdvisor is working fine on Google using 3.7a2 Minefield. But it does seem that Finjan has stopped working.

8. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Apparently! .. It's Google that's causing all the trouble :rolleyes:

My Desktop Computer had 2 updates for IE8 today :doubt:
    1) Google Toolbar Update
    2) WOT Update

The WOT update was apparently to fix the problem that Google is running around creating :cautious:

Google is updating the Google Toolbar for IE with...
    Share : http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&answer=163656
    &
    My Location : http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&answer=166104

See Where It Says...

Well! .. It wasn't OFF when Google installed it on my desktop :thumbd:
    It was only ( Call It ) women's intuition that made me check - & - Kill :mad:

Quote From Sami ( WOT Forum - 5th Feb ) ...

Zeena

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  9. bertus19

bertus19 Registered Member

Thank you all for your reply's!

May I conclude that apparently changes in the google search website are causing Siteadvisor not to work properly anymore? Then possibly the guys from McAfee will soon adjust Siteadvisor to coöperate with google search again...

10. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

99% Firefox user .. I hardly ever use IE8 myself!
    It's my son that uses IE8 :rolleyes:
    However!
    I just couldn't wait for the Google Toolbar to update on my Laptop.
    Just to see if - My Location - Would be OFF by default :doubt:

So!
    All afternoon I've been opening IE8 on my laptop .. To try and coax the Google Toolbar to update :doubt:
    The Result!
    My Location .. Was ON :thumbd:

Funny how the Google Help page says....

Not True! :mad:

Zeena

11. progress

progress Guest

Are the siteadvisor ratings up-to-date? :doubt: I nearly can't believe it ...

12. TOADFROG

TOADFROG Registered Member

I have Siteadvisor installed in 2 nearly identical XP Pro PC's both using Firefox with same add-0n's: Siteadvisor works on one of them but doesn't work on the other...this has been true since Firefox version 3.63...now both on 3.64. both with latest version of Siteadvisor...but siteadvisor prior current version didn't work either...on one pc. I've also tried yahoo and bing on the SA non-working pc No siteadvisor balloons there either. When I hit a trojan site today, My avast caught and stopped it...nerry a peep from SA. teh McAfee rectangle is grey on the non working pc, green on the other. I've tried reinstalling and disabling, enabling. WOT always works great. I wish there was a direct alternative to SA...it's clearly a fragile, inconsistent ap. I wouldn't use any Mcafee product that there was a decent alternative to based on my poor results with siteadvisor. Can anyone suggest similar alternatives other than WOT, which is great, but doesn't catch malware like siteadvisor does when it works.

13. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Norton SafeWeb Lite

14. TOADFROG

TOADFROG Registered Member

UPDATE - Alternative to Siteadvisor: As I posted yesterday, Siteadvisor wouldn't work on one PC...SO I sought alternatives to SA...Found this article: TOP 6 ALTERNATIVES FOR MCAFEE SITEADVISOR – BROWSE SAFE
    http://techpp.com/2009/02/10/top-6-alternatives-mcafee-siteadvisor-browse-safe/
    Tried Browser Defender mentioned in the article. So far so good, works with google, yahoo & Bing....similar balloon icons...can't say how effective it is, but it's made by PC Tools which makes Spyware Dr [I use the free starter edition, love it] and other anti-malware products, so I have reason to be optimistic.

15. progress

progress Guest

There's a bug with Browser Defender & Google: The ratings only work for the first page of the search results :(

Hey that's funny: SITEADVISOR ALERT: Trendsecure.com is dangerous! :D A few years ago McAfee did it with Lavasoft: Lavasoft.com is dangerous! :D

I think the SiteAdvisor ratings are absolutely out-of-date ...

TrendProtect only works with IE, what a pity :rolleyes:

16. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Its a hit and miss case with Browser Defender..Sometimes it do work with Google and sometimes it don't...I have two add-on one is Browser Defender & other is WOT...I also keep my browsers inside sandbox, and they are the only programs which can access internet inside sandbox...I also use AdBlock Plus and No-Script...

BTW i don't use IE ...I haven't used it since 2008 :p

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Browser Defender has been having issues since December 2009...I am still waiting for it to be fixed.

18. progress

progress Guest

I know :oops:

Finjan with FF 3.6.4 - what the hell ... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

20. progress

progress Guest

I can't believe it ... :doubt:

21. CiX

CiX Registered Member

BTW anyone tried Haute Secure? o_O

22. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Safeweb lite needs the Ask.com toolbar from what I have read.

23. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

24. malexous

malexous Registered Member

LinkExtend
    Web Security Guard

I have used SiteAdvisor, WOT, AVG LinkScanner and LinkExtend in the past but since removing NIS 2011 Beta I have installed Norton Safe Web Lite for my parents.

Whenever I want to check the rating of a website, I just use URLVoid.com these days.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  25. progress

progress Guest

I noticed a bug in Norton Safe Web - similar to Browser Defender & Google :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.