Simple application control only

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by risl, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. risl

risl Registered Member

Hello,

Is there any low resource using software that would only have application control abilities so I could run it with SP2 firewall. I need something to monitor network access for .exes and dlls (please, don't suggest disabling this and that from some firewall software)

Thank you! :cool:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can try something like prosecurity or appdefend which allows you to control an applications network access.

4. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

I was about to suggest Online Armor Free Edition, with a rule to allow all inbound (since you will be using XP's built-in firewall) and optionally disable HIPS feature, since it would give a low resource application control firewall until I read this:

so, I won't make that suggestion and please ignore my post... :)

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/XP/index.html

No free version.

Well, that's essentially what you're going to get, regardless of the label.

You're better off running Dynamic Security agent and ditching the Windows firewall.

6. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

In addition to the suggestions, the paid version of SSM and freeware Winpooch have some outbound control.
    12fw

7. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I would recommend Threatfire. It is a decent behaviour blocker that runs light on my system. An advanced rule can be set up to monitor outbound connections. See this thread from post no 22 https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183020&highlight=threatfire

Works well for me.

Don't worry about it being "noisy" and asking loads of questions. It will not ask for anything unless it is considered a risk.

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The problem with using Threatfire for outbound is that you don't have the option of blocking without quarantining the app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.