Simple alternative to windows restore points?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Bob27, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob27

Bob27 Registered Member

....old XP with limited system resources,

I looked into imaging and cloning, but is there something that is even simper, and basically works like windows restore but is more effective?

2. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

It's been years since I used XP, but when I did I swore by a product called WinRescue XP. You can find information about it here:

http://www.superwin.com/rescuexp.htm

Please be aware that I have no idea if it is still in development or if there are better products now. But, in it's day, it was a great tool.

3. Bob27

Bob27 Registered Member

Thanx, I'll look into it. I think what I'm looking for is some sort of snapshot program, to go back when I get a corrupted or infected download, and ststem restore points are often hit and miss.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A new simple to operate imaging/snapshot program is taking off because its that good. Check it out. Time Machine AX64 http://www.ax64.com/#!prettyPhoto

5. Bob27

Bob27 Registered Member

Thanx for your reply...saw your thread

I need something light 256MB ram 16gig HD/9gig available
    will this run on my machine?

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would go on the AX64 thread and address your question to Isso. He's the developer, and will answer your question promptly. Your PC looks like a 2003 model with XP. It was marginal then. I had an XP with 1GB RAM from 2004 that I replaced with a 8GB RAM and 1.5TB HD running WIN7 64x in 2011. It's great. I would consider a new computer. They're cheaper than ever. Don't forget that Microsoft won't support XP after this year.

7. TheRollbackFrog

TheRollbackFrog Registered Member

Hi Bob. A 256mb system will be tough to deal with these days.

For single snapshot capability: Toolwiz Time Freeze and Returnil... both lite virtualization products (and FREE, I believe).

Multiple snapshot is harder due to your system size. The tool of choice "back in the day" was FD-ISR... no longer supported, but you may be able to dig up an installer and a registration code.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

considering how slow a machine that came in to work recently running xp with 512mb of ram was then I do not expect anything to run well on that small amount of memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.