Silicon Image 3112a help on the way!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Scopacetic, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

I just got a reply from technical support yesterday about the 3112a boot CD issue. The first response was that build 771 should work by pressing F11 during CD boot and entering "acpi=off noapic" at the ensuing Linux prompt. I tried it and it didn't make any difference. I replied that it didn't help and pointed to the "Silicon Image 3112 Raid 0" thread on this forum(https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=48613). I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from them today with a link to the prerelease of build 772 (unfortunately, not allowed to publish links on this site). In any case, it works! Don't know if any of the other bugs are worked out (none of which I am experiencing), but at least that one bug is gone. And hopefully no new bugs crept in!

The other great news in this is that I heard from technical support 2 days in a row! Could this mark the beginning of a turn around? Many thanks to Michael Yakhontov who helped me out on this one.

2. Scopacetic

Scopacetic Registered Member

Now heard from Michael 3 days in a row. Curious if others are starting to hear from technical support. New hireso_O

3. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

Used to hear a LOT from them when I first reported the Si3112a problems - I've not had a reply to ANY of my recent emails - things going downhill for me, so much for all the help and support I've given, it is supposed to work BOTH WAYS isn't it? o_O

Fedorov.

4. Yemble

Yemble Registered Member

Just a quick product comparison...

The Ghost 9 (2005) recovery CD does not have support for the SIL 3112A chipset either. However, because Symantec use Windows PE for their boot disk, I was able to add SIL 3112A drivers into the CD image, mod the TXTSETUP.SIF file and reburn the CD in under 30 mins.

I now have a bootable Ghost 9 CD with built in SIL 3112A support.

Now please remind me why Acronis choose to rely on Linuxo_O

In my mind (and I am evaluating as a corporate buyer) there is no comparison. Sorry Acronis, but you've just lost a s**t load of business. Your loss, not mine.

5. presrc

presrc Registered Member

Hi,
    Would you care to share these techniques?
    Thanks

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Aahh, but does your boot disk do anything other than recover an image e.g. create an image?

Regards

7. Yemble

Yemble Registered Member

That's a fair point, however, the initial image can be made from within the Windows environment (or whatever). The only downside that I can see is that the image than includes an installed version of Ghost which may not be desirable. This backup restriction may not be present in the Corporate edition (which I have not seen yet). Ghost 8 DOS mode is always an option! :rolleyes:

However, the real point that I am trying to make is that with the Windows PE boot environment I am easily able to add driver support in myself as and when required. I am not relient (and nor can I afford to be) on timescales dictated by external parties, in this case Acronis tech. support. Bear in mind that the Sil 3112A chipset has been around for at least two years! The Linux based boot disk is just such an obvious (and unecessary) flaw in the otherwise excellent Acronis product. A real shame. :'(

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Imaging from within a Windows environment obviously works for you (and me also!) but not necessarily for everyone. For installations with lots of disk activity Windows may be unable to lock the partition and will therefore fail to create an image. The only recourse in this case is to boot into the Linux based boot rescue environment.

Anyway, sorry to hear TI doesn't suit your situation so good luck with Symantic Ghost.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.