Silent Background Defrag ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Perman, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Diskeeper pro v.10 and 11 do arm with this alleged remarkable feature-silent background defrag, now O&O defrag Pro jumped on the same wagon, claiming theirs are so super that users can sit back and relax. I just wonder, Are this feature really advantageous to our daily pc work? Some time ago, I read some guru suggested not use this feature in shadow(frozen) mode of any virtulization app. And why is that reason behind? I have this feature of DK enabled, and seems to me it works just fine. Is O&O's in much difference than DK's ? or just another "me too". But O&O's news release calims theirs is one of its kind--to this effect. Anybody can echo that ? o_O

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say that diskeeper's InvisiTasking is much more advanced than the one in 0&0 autodefrag.
    the automatic defrag in 0&0 defrag uses disk I/O priorites to work around the user.
    diskeeper used than in version 10.
    now diskeeper uses invisitasking which is much more advanced
    lodore

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You can monitor disc (specific device) I/O and you can monitor CPU useage. But thats only the tip of the iceberg, there is a lot more that can be done.
    That covers the when to defrag, but you need to consider what to move and how and in what order. This is a far more complex issue (and a lot can be learnt from task scheduling and applied to defragging in real time)

One thing is moving small chunks of files at a time, this is the one thing that prevented mst defrag being 100% transparent.
    One thing that invisitasking does, is how it queues and prioritieses which files to move (eg its better to defrag the least recent modified/file as a more recent written file is more likely to be modified), smaller files get the biggest gains from defragging, defrag a file in place then consolidate space later etc etc (I spent a lot of time anaylsing ntfs fragmentation last year and posted lots of snippets of info on here)

These are the kinda things that you should be looking out for in real time defragging.

I dont use windows anymore at home so not had chance to play with any defraggers for a while, but i did suggest numerous improvements (the quick version mentioned above) and the MST guys, and would be interested to see what improvements they have made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.