silencer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

Please note that I have not used this program.....aqn list it only for the awearness of others.

"SILENCER"
    Silencer offers a different approach. It can be used if you would like to keep the adware product but not have it communicate. It disables communications between your adware and its "mother ship" by disabling the latter's URLs in your hosts cache by pointing them all to 127.0.0.1 (or any other IP). Please note that although you are justifiably upset that these stealth communications are going on in your computer, you might actually be in violation of your EULA if you disable them - so use it for educational or troubleshooting use only.
    Works with: all (generic)

What does Silencer do?
    It adds entries to the Windows host file that map adserver requests to your own machine. It's kinds like forwarding unsolicited phonecalls to a phone number that doesn't have a phone hooked up to it. They'll still be calling... but will hear them nor ever pick up the phone :)

Do not use this if you are on a network, since your sysadmin may get really upset if you mess with the Host file.

*****Note:
    If you decide to remove the application later, you need to delete the file C:\Windows\hosts and reboot your machine. If you do not delete the HOSTS file, you will continue to block the servers that you added.

http://www.spychecker.com/silencer.html

**( be advised that I do not advocate the use of any spyware products......also, imo such products should be removed and replaced with non-spyware)

2. snowy

snowy Guest

***SPECIAL NOTE**

the below named TROJAN is what I was researching when I came upon the above listed program.
    By "SIZE" it does not appear related.....nevertheless the use of the same name makes me nervous........

Name: Silencer
    Aliases: Backdoor.Silence,
    Ports: 1001, 10101
    Files: Silencer.zip - 35,589 bytes Silencer.zip - 73,389 bytes Silencer2.zip - 35,934 bytes Silencer2.zip - 73,389 bytes Silencer.exe - 78,336 bytes Server.exe - 34,304 bytes Server rename this.exe - 33,280 bytes New silencer - gui.exe - 196,608 bytes
    Created: Jan 1999
    Requires: VB runtime files - are required to run the trojan.
    Actions: Remote Access / Steals passwords / Virus dropper
    Is supposed to be the same trojan as Priority.. Among other things it drops the Pingpong virus.
    Versions: 1.0.0, 1.1.0,
    Registers: HCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ Does not register (oldest version).
    Notes: Works on Windows 95 and 98.
    Program: Written in Visual Basic.

http://www.glocksoft.com/trojan_list/Silencer.htm

it was not until after making the first post that I camw upon this information. ( I suspect that this trojan hit me yesterday.....but can't see any signs of its existence on my os)

snowman

3. snowy

snowy Guest

MODS feel free to delete this thread,...(I was not login so can not)

Sorry..... the more I think about this the more nervous it makes me...........the "HOST" program first posted may well be fine and dandy.....if so a name change sure should be considered.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

For more info about the HOSTS file and how to use it, see:

http://www.smartin-designs.com/

This is S.Martins HOSTS file, which is reguarly updated.
    If it is updated, we'll try to post it here on the board.
    I use his HOSTS file myself, and have added some more urls myself to it.

IE-SPYAD from Eric Howes is partly based upon it.
    I use that one too.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

With respect to that name changing of HOSTS:

HOSTS is a file without an extension.

If for some reason I want to temporarily disable HOSTS, I can easily do that using Hostess. Hostess then renames HOSTS to hosts.rnm. And when I want HOSTS again to be enabled, I do it again through Hostess that renames it back to simply HOSTS

7. snowy

snowy Guest

FanJ

please excuse my confusion....your mention of SM's host file threw me off.........its not associated with "silencer" is ito_O// I use some of the SM's file list....super nice.

this "silencer" appears to be a one entry at a time.....personally for name alone I would pass on it.....any name association with a trojan gives me the silly willies....

snowman

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

I'm afraid I don't know much about that Silencer program.

I saw you mentioning HOSTS, so I thought to give some links where you can read more about the hosts in general, and the one from S.Martin in particular.
    That was all :)

9. snowy

snowy Guest

Jan

thanks....ok, now I understand.......as said please excuse my confusion these days.....LOL... your post was simple enough....just me being to "simple-minded"

snowman

10. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Snowman,
    Don't be so quick to put yourself down, too many people will do it for you. No one knows everything and it's human nature to miss things when you are expecting one thing and something else is there. :rolleyes:

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Loki

that was a very nice thing for you to say.....an truely appreciated..........an you are so very correct.

in my case it done in a humerous manner.....because I am very self assured.....an yet able not to take myself to seriously......I strive for balance.
    in "real" life my goals have been high and have been met...........now I can afford alittle sillyness....
    thank you Loki for your concern for others....myself included........my compliments.....an respect.

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.