Significance of Alert messages

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by phduffey, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phduffey

phduffey Registered Member

After Downloading a video at the insistence of my daughter-in-law from worldtradecenterphotos.com I noticed TDS-3 had 3 alerts: Change in win.ini, explorer.exe, and Syustem32\ws2_32.dll I ran updated TDS-3 and Norton Antivirus 2003 and found nothing. Any ideas on what that download did to my computer and how to find and fix it? I am running Windows XP and have restore points. The computer seems to be working normally at this point, but I worry the changes somehow bypass my security.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi phduffey and welcome,
    Was this the first time you ran the CRC32 check, and if so a second CRC32check showed nothing?
    In that case, you should not worry. TDS has to learn the files on your system.
    Dolf

Attached Files:

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello phduffey, I would be inclined to look for spyware or browser hijacker. You can download a free copy of Spybot search & Destroy here: http://security.kolla.de/

Using a restore point before the DL might help but, depending on where you downloaded the file it may still be around after the restore.

If you can post a copy of the alerts this may also be useful

EDIT: Good advice from Dolf if it is your first "run" so to speak :)

4. phduffey

I'm unable to post a copy of the alerts, because I ran it again and nothing showed.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you configured to log the TDS console, you would find the log in TDS > View logfile > September > the date and scrolling through that you'll find the data from the display.

If you didn't configure the logfiles to be kept yet, you might like to do so:
    TDS > Configuration > Options tab > bottom middle check the Log Console Activity > Save and after reloading TDS this new setting is kept.

So from such logfiles you can copy and post the necessary parts too.

6. phduffey

I viewed the logfile and the alert messages were not there. Does it only keep the last logfile of the day? I checked with Spybot and found nothing. Thanks! paul Duffey

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The logfiles only keep all that is written in the main console; the alerts from scans for instance which appear in the separate bottom console you can save by rightclicking one of them and in the menu chose the last option "save to text" which will save that part to the Scandump.Txt which file you'll find back in the TDS directory. It isn't written there automatically.
    Hope a next time you know now!

The normal logfiles if you checked them in the configuration will be in the Logs folder in the TDS directory, where you'll see them for each month and inside those folders per day.

8. phduffey

Jooske, Thanks! Now I know how to save them. I really appreciate the rapid responses on this website. Paul Duffey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.