Side by side comparison of OA and OSS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Seven64, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Has anyone compared the latest versions of Online Armor++ and Outpost Security Suite? In your opinion what one offers the most protection overall? Performance is not an issue.
    Thanks in advance.

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I have used both and I can offer some insight. OA++ as far as the hips goes, gives more descriptive and informative pop ups. OSS gives a short and sweet pop up that does get your attention. Both of the AV are very good at catching most malware. I actually ran OSS through about 30 links from malc0de, clean-mx.de and MDL. It caught about 80% of the links. The rest were marked suspicious from OSS HIPS. The only thing that made it through was a semi legit tool bar. It was easily removed so nothing bad. I didn't get a chance to try it out for memory usage but it ran fairly light. I have noticed that OA's web scanner tends to slow down my browsing at times.

Not to close a thread really quickly but these A vs B threads aren't allowed. My suggestion is to run both and see what works. You might find that one may reek havoc on your system and one will float like a leaf. Give them a try. You can always augment your protection with some add-on's like geswall, sandboxie or returnil.

3. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

kjdemuth, Thanks. Forgot about a vs. b rule.

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

They Both Kick ~ Snipped as per TOS ~!!
    I am kin to Outpost have been for over 11 years ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
  5. kjdemuth

:thumb:
    I think you're right about that hayc. I started using it under VM and it stopped a whole ton of things. I like the interface too. If i wasn't so attached to CIS, then I probably be using it myself.

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

OSSS is rather old in direct comparison - v16 since 2010 and still beta for over a year.
    and IMO it does not work on win7 - v1.5 has issues on XP.
    if you have another webguard running that on is not needed.
    furthermore OA has additional web features with blacklists and more.
    mail shield was disabled too here - i have a secure mailer.

#

sorry, forget my message

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. kjdemuth

No I never had another webguard running. It was running all by itself.
    I've been running it on win7 64bit and its running nice and smooth.

8. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Outpost has better firewall
    but
    OA has better HIPS
    Antivirus engine(s) built in OA scans only unknown files on start (no realtime protection).
    Both deliver very good protection :thumb:

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I am referring to Outpost Security Suite not OSSS.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.

10. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

The most protection overall is offered by what you bring to the party.

I like both of these products and have used OSS for many years [I'm a mod at the OP forum.] Either will give you great protection as evidenced by results from third party testing sites. That's the starting point. Still, it's up to you largely how the product is configured. A great product could do lousy if mis-configured.

For me, it's not about the small differences in the feature set but rather whether or not the product makes sense to you. If one is able to follow the logic and flow of it and understand how it works. Then, with any top rated product, you will get great protection.

Threads like this - A vs B - are usually unproductive because you largely get people with bad experiences that slam the product or fans where nothing can go wrong. I put very little weight behind such things.

My advice to you is to forget about asking and use both products yourself. See what feels best to you and then stick with it. It takes a good while to get really good at using either package properly.

11. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

I have Outpost Firewall Lifetime Lic since Version 4 and I also have Outpost Security SUite LIfetime lic since I think version 2009. I used to use Outpost since well Sygate died (or got swallowed into Symantec) so that's whato_O 7 years? I like Outpost it is great and I used it before it was HIPS etc, I used it when it was what it was...a firewall.

That being said, the origins of Outpost are it's firewall so if you are going for firewall capability then Outpost wins.

Now I am testing Online Armor since I didn't really like the outpost 2010..or 11 (v 7.0) HIPS and frankly most of it was off due to incomptiblity with Kasperksy (which I ran at that time). Also Outpost 2010 Webscanning engine had major issues with World of Warcraft, it would create massive lag so Outpost had to be ran in cripled mode. That from what I understand has been fixed in the 7.5 offering. HOwever it was also around that time when I started using Online Armor (early this year).

I like Online Armor HIps and have just recently purchased the OA++ lic, and I am runing the 5.1 beta. However OA++ 5.1 beta seems to have issues with some games on STEAM so in order to play them I have to exclude whole STEAM folders from detection.

So far I like OA++ I am yet to try the 7.5 since my wife still has KAV on her lappy and 7.5 and KAV still don't play nice together.

Best advice try both and see which HIPS popup do you preferr, which are more "legible" to you. Both offer the same protection however all the protection is nullified if you can't understand what HIPS is trying to tell you. SO if you like the OA HIPS way of presenting questions better than OUTPOST then go with that (and vice versa).

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

And as best possible advice has been given (to test and try each) we close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.