Shutdown PC after f@h work-unit is done

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Becho, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becho

Becho Registered Member

Hello all again. I am participating in running F@H & I would like some help on how to add to my script a command to shut down the pc once the work-unit is done. I have F@H installed under my /home directory and use a script that runs in a terminal window. When the unit is done it automatically closes the terminal but I would also like it to shut down the pc. I run Xubuntu 11.04 64-bit. Here is the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd Folding
    ./fah6 -oneunit -verbosity 9
    I google'd but to no avail.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There are many options.

First you can add a shutdown command at the end of that script, provided fah runs in foreground. Second, you can create a symbolic link when that script starts and delete it when it adds, then have cron run every minute or so a script that check for the existence of the link; if it's there, don't shutdown and vice versa.

And many others. But the way you describe it, adding a shutdown option at the end would work great.

Mrk

3. Becho

Becho Registered Member

Which command should I use?
    Code:
    && shutdown -f now
    Wouldn't that start the script and shut down the pc as soon as I click it. Also that would need root access? Thank you for the tips.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I meant in the bash script, add another line that reads shutdown <options>.
    You can test with echo "shutdown" to make sure the command is not executed too early.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.